Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '92 4runner, 2.4L, manual 5 speed, with 210,000 miles. It isn't shifting the best lately. I replaced the bushing that the shifter sits in, and the bushing that goes at the end of the shifter and down into the transmission. I tried synthetic transmission fluid, and I thought that cause the problem so I replaced it with new non-synthetic fluid. I don't know what to do. I don't want to just swap out parts at random, I need help figuring out the problem.

It doesn't matter if it is hot or cold outside it still shifts the same. I have the hardest time getting into 4th gear. Some times it doesn't want to go into any gear. I don't matter if I'm rolling or stopped, or if the engine is running or off. But the worst is shifting into 4th. If I accelerate normally and they shift into 4th there is no grinding, it just won't drop in. So I have to put it back into 3rd. Then if I re-accelerate and let my foot off the gas, wait a second for the truck to lunge forward, then push in the clutch and shift it will go into gear. It is like I have to take the loading off the transmission to get it to shift.

I've been told this could be worn bearings? I thought it might be syncros? Or maybe a bent shift fork? This just happen one day, and then truck isn't beat on, just a daily driver. I just want to pin point the problem so I can fix it.

Any ideas will help, thanks.

·
Loose Nut
94 Toyota 2WD Pickup
257 Posts
Start here.

First job will be to identify exactly which transmission you have, and then go to the proper section in the FSM, and run through the troubleshooting section for that transmission.

Unfortunately, those that I looked at were pretty thin. For instance, on the G48, R150, and R150F (and I beleive the R150F is one of the potential transmissions for your 4wd), there are basically two options for "hard to shift or will not shift:"

1) Splines on input shaft dirty or burred (remedy - repair as necessary, see p. MT1-5)
2) Transmission faulty (remedy - Dissassemble and inspect transmisstion, see p. MT1-5)

Actually, MT1-5 is the start of the disassembly proceedure for the 2wd model. The 4wd instructions start on p. MT1-14.

Good luck!

·
Registered
907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you very much! I wanted to take my transmission apart and see what is wrong with it. Now with the pictures you provided I feel I have the confidence to do so. Those pictures are really awesome, thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts