Toyota Nation Forum banner

1992 4x4, Rear Bumper/Hitch Sagging

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  dcwrx 
#1 ·
I have a 1992 4x4, 6cly
The rear bumper and hitch are sagging.
I thought when I bought the truck I could just adjust them, but crawling under the truck it appears that the ends of the frame on the truck itself are bent down a little, therefore making the hitch and bumper sag.

Point in question has anyone found an easy way to fix this problem or should I just take it to a body shop for repairs.?

#2 ·
If it is the frame that's bent, there's not going to be a simple fix for that.
Did it bend because the hitch was seriously overloaded, or because the frame is rusted, etc ?

#3 ·
Either Way Whether it be rust OR overload, the metal has been bent beyond its elasticity point, being that fact, it has lost some of it's strength, so bending it back can be useless if your intending on using the hitch in a harsher way.

If your just interested in making the bumper angle up straight with the body and your needs are purely esthetic, than you can cut a straight line in the BUMPER PART of the attachment on the frame, and bend it beyond the line you cut, adjust the bumper height and reweld.

#4 · (Edited)
just a thought, how badly down is it sagging, if is just a bit, could try loosening the bolts on the frame (4x, where the bumper brackets/arms connect), and adjust up. there is some adjustment play there. Worked for me, when I still had a bumper. Just a thought.

#6 ·
OK I loosened all the bolts that hold the bumper and the hitch on, and then I put a jack under the hitch and jacked it up until all the wheight of the truck was on the hitch. It did not budge. I was hoping that it would bend the small portion of the back of the frame that was bent down, back up.
So i was able to use the jack to lift the bumper up so it is level again and then i tightened up all the bolts. It looks alot better. the hitch is still sagging a little but its not as noticable now that the bumper is level and strait.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.