Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 1992 Camry 2.2 that ran fine until the engine quit running at a stop sign and will not start. It turns over just fine. We can hear the fuel pump running. I removed the air intake hose, held the butterfly open and sprayed gas in while my assistant turned the car over - wouldn't fire. I removed the distributor cap and turned the engine. The rotor turns.
Does anyone know about a reset button? I'm told that there is a switch designed to turn off the power and gas in case of an accident. Any other ideas?

·
Sweet n' Lowdown
2006 Scion tC
16,189 Posts
Yes, they will be erased in your case so write them down.
Normally, after you reconnect the battery, if you drive around for an hour or so both on the hwy and stop and go traffic the codes will come up again after everything adjusts if the trouble still exists.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Sounds like maybe the timing belt let go, particularly if the engine is turning over at a rate much quicker than it might normally.

Fortunately, the 5SFE, like the 3SFE before it, is a non-interference engine so if the belt let go it's very unlikely you bent anything (valves especially).

Steve

·
Registered
49 Posts
When I bought my Camry 1992 2.2L it cranked but didnt start.

It was the "Crank Angle Sensor" in the DISTRIBUTOR that needed replacing.

I bought a new dist for 320 bucks Canadian!

I can hook you up with one at that price if you need. PM me!

LA

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Correct me if I'm wrong but, the distributor rotor turns, would it turn if there was a belt problem?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK. I checked for trouble codes and there were none. The engine light flashes constant = normal operation. I unhooked the battery for 10 min., reconnected it and tried to start it. No change. I pulled a spark plug to test for spark - no spark. We could smell gas when we cranked the engine over. Nick suggested working "backward" so I'm headed to the Haynes manual for backward directions. I'm currious as to why there are no trouble codes. Anyone have an Idea? Or suggestions on what to check next?

·
N/A bites
Paseo
5,859 Posts
Could be the ecu itself, possible. Get a test light and a voltmeter, make sure that the wires going to distributor have proper power. Inside the dist. there's a little condensor that goes bad on toyotas that causes a similar problem. The condensor costs like $10usd at the dealership.

·
Registered
19 Posts
my 3vz-fe 93 is in the same boat........ it cranks but wont start, i checked for spark and there is none so i am in need of help as well... any would be good , i know all the basic (wires,coil,ignitor etc..) but im not sure if there is anything thats un-common that might have gone wrong, if anyone knows anything about weird things that might have gone wrong please help

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The problem with my 92 camry was the coil. I had no spark at the plugs and did have juice from the ing. to the coil. I used an Om tester using the range given in my Haynes book. It was $36USD at Autozone. The couter guy at Autozone said that it was a common problem, they stock the part.

·
Registered
19 Posts
yeah its definetely the problem checked it last night...
well where i live we dont have autozone, but theres an msd shop like 5 minutes away and the guy there said he has one for me:D

·
Professional TN browser
42 Posts
didnt know this was a common problem with 5sfe's and recently found myself in the same boat u guys are in it sounded as if it wanted to start but just couldnt turn over cheked my plugs and had no spark so after $200 for new wires and a distributor with some dirty hands my cars runs like new again... so eh just thought id put my 2cents in........

·
Registered
6 Posts
This sounds like a common problem in the early 90's Camry's. I have a 93' Camry that won't start. It will crank but that's it. We first thought we were dealing w/a frozen gas line but then found we weren't getting any spark. Last Friday my husband put a new distributor on but still, nothing. Does anyone else have any other ideas as to what it could be...should some wires be changed? This car has been sitting since January and we're about ready to take it to a mechanic which I'M totally against because I don't want to be charged some ridiculous price for something we could have fixed ourselves.

Thanks!
Joy :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Joy, before you take it to a mech. spend a couple of $ on a Haynes book. If you're going to keep the car you need the data if not the procedures and troubleshooting. Did you check the coil with an ohm meter? Are you getting any power from the ig.? Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dale, he replaced the distributor which he says has a new coil in it.

We have a Chilton book which is similar to Haynes.

He says he hasn't checked ignitor yet but he's going to in a few minutes.

He's also going to replace the plug and wires or whatever they are. The ones connected to the distributor.

I think by the time this is all over, I'm going to know Camry's inside and out.

Joy :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Joy, yes he should check the ignitor. When I said ig. I meant ingition. Sorry. Are you getting power from the ignition to the coil?

Here's a question for everyone, which is better Haynes or Chiltons? Is there a source (other than TN) that's better yet?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts