Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,

I am new to the forum so please bear with me for a moment. I'm a longtime Toyota owner but have not posted here before.

I have a 1992 Camry LE V6 station wagon that I inherited from the family who purchased it new. The car currently has 199k on it.

As mentioned, it has the 3.0 DOHC V6. It was time for a timing belt and water pump replacement about a year ago, even though it ran decently. I do my own maintenance work and repairs on my vehicles, so I did plenty of research before tackling the job. I made sure to line up all three timing marks properly and even checked it three or four times before cranking the engine. Now, the engine turns over but will not start - not even a hint of firing. There is gas getting to the cylinders and I'm also getting spark - I had a master mechanic friend check it out just last night.

Question. What do you think is causing the no-start issue and where do I go from here?

Thanks very much.

·
Almost 1/2 Million Miles!
1,758 Posts
WELCOME TO TN!

What did your Master Mechanic friend say?

At times, it is very difficult in trying to figure out issues with NO START and other conditions via the WEB and if you have a Master Mechanic it is golden for you and your Camry.

Assuming that you did that Timing Belt job correctly and assuming you checked for spark and fuel then, I would look at the very simple things like Spark Plug wires going to the WRONG cylinders! Maybe at least two are not going to the correct cylinders.

Please come back with what your Master Mechanic friend said.

·
Registered
63 Posts
First break down how an engine works. The 3 things it needs are Air/Fuel/Spark. If it is getting all of those, then you move on to the more advanced portion. How is compression? How strong of a spark are you getting? When you did your timing did you also check your dizzy? Whats your fuel pressure like? Is it throwing any codes? Are all sensors working correctly?

·
short-throw dipstick
5,904 Posts
If you have the 3VZ, jump the TE1 and E1 terminals on the underhood diagnostic connector and see if it blinks out any codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To all -

This is a continuation of the saga concerning my 1992 Camry LE V-6 wagon and its no-start situation. After reading through the replies, I would like to offer a response to each of the replying individuals.

To Guapoman2000: I was quite meticulous with the timing belt replacement, using only the Haynes manual and a library online source. I also wrote down some additional steps I took, marked all parts and set them in a box, then took several photos. I didn't want to make any mistakes. The only engine wires I disconnected were (1). The two ground wires coming from the engine to the RH fender apron. (2). The coil cable, at the coil. (3). Three spark plug wires on the front bank of cylinders. Marked each one.

To foxtherouge: 1. Have not checked compression. 2. I don't know how to measure the spark. But I get a nice blue spark arcing between the plug electrodes. 3. Because the engine was running fine when I started the job, I did not check the timing. Not sure how to do it anyhow! 4. Did not remove the dizzy (distributor) cap. 5. I don't believe I have the tool for measuring fuel pressure. 6. Have not done OBD-1 diagnostics on a vehicle before, so I don't know about any codes. 7. Not sure about the sensors you mentioned. Which sensors are those, and where are they located? I checked the fuses and they seem okay.

To insightbrewery: I'm not very knowledgeable about how to jump the terminals or where to look for the blinks when performing OBD-1 diagnostics. BTW, over the years, I've studied how to replace parts, but I never did get into electronic testing.

What I would like to do at this time is to give you all a short history of my T-belt replacement effort to help resolve this issue.

I had the front end of the car in a jacked-up position since February. (Yes, it was a LONG repair, but I didn't need the car for daily use because I had other motor vehicles at my disposal). So when the engine cranked and didn't fire, I knew it needed several cranks until it drew fuel to the throttle body. I kept cranking, in 5-second bursts, until the battery failed. I then pulled two of the spark pIugs on the front bank. They were DRY---no sign of gas. I deduced that the fuel line was probably empty from sitting so long, plus the fuel pump had to push the gas uphill. Just "thinking out loud" trying to determine the problem. I then lowered the front end raised the back end to help with gas flow. Cranked the engine, pulled the same two plugs----both plugs were wet with gas. That's good, I thought. Now, why wasn't it starting now?

Then I went to check for spark by pulling the cable from the distributor. Didn't have to----I noticed I had not reconnected the coil cable, at the coil. I thought: Great! Problem solved. Nope. I had another individual who was nearby crank the engine expecting to hear it fire up. Same thing. No start. I rechecked the two plugs. Wet with gas.

A minor point, I think. The plugs are old. They have a .50 (approximate) gap. I believe it should be .42 or thereabouts. The engine ran before I replaced the timing belt with these same plugs, so I don't think this would cause the no-start now.

The gas has been in the tank since 5 June 2018. Don't think this should matter, but.....Just looking at all possibilities.

Thanks very much. Please feel free to reply at your earliest convenience.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
it would be best to put these replies in the thread they all came from

As a separate, new thread, the disconnect makes it too hard to know what's being talked about / how to help.

·
1,758 Posts
jpsr22314

It would be impossible to provide you a Crammed Course on how to Troubleshoot your Camry V6 here. If you don't have the correct tools or know how the limits of this Forum is very challenging at best since I do not have access to your vehicle and only can go by what you write.

However, instead of leaving you without any recourse or still stranded I offer you this Video as a Guide, especially since it is the In-line 4 Cylinder and not the V-6 but, the initial troubleshooting methods are there within this Video.

·
Super Moderator
12,682 Posts
I merged OP’s two threads.

·
1,758 Posts
jpsr22314,

Another good video of showing you how to troubleshoot and tools can be obtained by your nearest Auto Parts or Harbor Freight

Again, this is just a Guide!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All,

Can someone send me a picture of the rotor when it is at top-dead-center (TDC), pointing to #1?

I found another drawback that may be contributing to the no-start issue on my '92 Camry. The rotor is pointing to #2, not #1 as I had hoped.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts