Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The other day, I tried to put down the passenger window. It went down slightly and it made a weird noise. I then tried to put it back up, and it wouldn't go up. I lifted it manually (applying pressure to both sides of the glass), and I could pull it up ... but it would slide back down. When I pressed the button, I could still hear the motor.

So, today I removed the trim off the door and tried to have a look around. The window can freely be pushed up and down. There is what appears to be a loose metal wire ... which seems to be related to pulling the window up/down. It's still attached at both ends, but tightens and loosens when using the switch. I'm unclear if this is normal. It's as if the regulator has become detached from the window mechanism.

Anyone have any ideas?? Thanks.

·
What Toyota?
2008 Saab 9-3
10,477 Posts
I'd have to see pics. That's odd though. Maybe someone else that's more familiar with the mechanic aspect of this can chime in. I don't remember seeing a metal cable in my door though... Is the motor still making a noise?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd have to see pics. That's odd though. Maybe someone else that's more familiar with the mechanic aspect of this can chime in. I don't remember seeing a metal cable in my door though... Is the motor still making a noise?
The motor is not only making noise, it is retracting/releasing the metal wire as the switch is pressed down/up.

·
Lost to follow up!
96 Camry Coupes
12,154 Posts
Your window regulator has broken. The cable your seeing shouldn't be obivious. It's no big deal, and

Its an ez fix, you can find a replacement on Ebay. I've broken and replaced three of them.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your window regulator has broken. The cable your seeing shouldn't be obivious. It's no big deal, and

Its an ez fix, you can find a replacement on Ebay. I've broken and replaced three of them.
Ok, so the cable should be tucked behind the metal rail on which the window slides? I kinda figured that the regulator might be broken, but wasn't sure.

I found a new aftermarket on ebay for $30.

·
Lost to follow up!
96 Camry Coupes
12,154 Posts
Thank you. I already had this DIY, as I've taken off the driver's and passenger's door panels several times (for other problems). Lucky me ... now I get to complete the rest of the steps!! ;)
Isn't this a great site for learning things about your car!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I need some final input before ordering the regulator:

1. Is there any way to determine if the motor also needs to be replaced? As mentioned, it is moving the cable in/out - does that mean it is likely OK?

2. Is it difficult to install JUST the regulator, as opposed to a complete motor/regulator unit? (I have the instructions for the motor/regulator replacement). Can someone explain how to remove the old regulator from the motor, and re-attach the new regulator to the motor?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
If the motor is still making noise, and the window went up and down well before, then you don't need to replace it.

Plus taking the door panel off takes all of 5 seconds so even if you have to tear it apart a second time after putting the regulator it, it's no big deal.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If the motor is still making noise, and the window went up and down well before, then you don't need to replace it.

Plus taking the door panel off takes all of 5 seconds so even if you have to tear it apart a second time after putting the regulator it, it's no big deal.
I was planning on getting the regulator via ebay. While they seem to sell the regulator by itself, I don't see the motor sold separately. The regulator is like $30. The combo motor/regulator unit is $43. Just in case the motor is also broken or on its way out, and given the difference in price, don't you think it makes sense to replace both together?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts