Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Yota Lover <3
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a 1992 Camry that has the automatic V6 3vz-fe. This car has been a pain but she is worth it. I originally purchased her with a blown head gasket. Replaced the head gasket and many other random gaskets throughout the process. She has a new timing kit and belt on her. An alternator, radiator, coolant reservoir, and many other parts. Drove her around 200 miles and everything was fine. Then all of the sudden she is spitting and sputtering with a rough idle. Also has a "rattling" sound coming from the "front/right" valve cover. We have opened it up and nothing seems to be wrong and nothing seems to be beat up looking or anything. We performed a compression test on cylinder 2, 4, and 6 and they have nothing in the way of combustion/spark. We re going to change the coil since the spark is red, not blue as it's supposed to be. So basically she is only running on 3 cylinders. No signs of yet another gasket problem. She has very clean oil and antifreeze, no smoke of any kind. I am stumped on to what is going on. I been thinking that maybe the cam jammed up for just a second and the timing belt jumped which made it get out of time... anyone heard of this ever happening to them?

I will open the timing belt cover and go from there tomorrow evening. Might even take a short video of the strange sound.

Thanks everyone,
CypressMoon

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
1,967 Posts
It sounds like you are saying there is no compression at all in 3 cylinders (2,4&6) and the coil is bad, is that correct?

For there to be no compression in 3 cylinders their valves would have to be held open by something.

Typically, things like a blown head gasket, or a cracked head would result in low compression numbers, and then only for the cylinder affected. For there to be absolutely no compression at all, as you said, and for it to be in all 3 cylinders, that would require the valves to all three to be open, like the cams are not even rotating and they stopped somewhere in the middle so that valves in all 3 cylinders are being held open.

It will be interesting to see what you find when you remove the timing belt covers.

·
Yota Lover <3
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That is correct all 3 cylinders (2,4,6) on the front/right side hae no compression at all and when we done some diagnosing on her we found that her coil is bad as well.

Yes, that is exactly what my father was saying as well. Well tonight when it starts to cool down we are going to open it back up and see what is happening with it.

·
Administrator
14,544 Posts
If the front bank has no compression on any cyls, I’d strongly suspect the timing belt has jumped some teeth on that bank’s pulley.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts