Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Almost 1/2 Million Miles!
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello good people!:smile:

I can't stand it no more and hoping someone can shade some light as to what I need to do to make my Speedometer and my Tachometer (Engine RPMs) work correctly.

About three months ago.......:crying: the Speedometer started registering lower speeds than what my 1992 Toyota Camry XLE was traveling. Additionally, the Tachometer is hardly registering anything now. I really don't know what RPMs the 5F-SE Engine is doing!:frown::nerd:

I am ashamed and embarrassed to say that I am using my APPLE 4S I-PHONE as my Speedometer so, I don't get a speeding citation but, that heats up my phone a bit and need to keep it connected on the charger, especially during long trips.

Can anyone help me and tell me what to replace?

The Transmission is shifting perfectly and just yesterday I replaced the Distributor with a new unit and that didn't fix the issue, of course. Just want to get my Speedometer and Tachometer working correctly again.

I do understand that on the TOP of my Automatic Transmission there supposed to be some sort of Speed Sensor but, I have not found it and believe me, I have looked several times?:surprise:

Can anyone help?:grin:

·
Super Moderator
12,688 Posts

·
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BMR,

Thanks so much! That's a HOME RUN!

It has almost 486,000 miles so, I am amazed that they lasted this long.

The only thing that is still factory is the Rack and Pinion, Pump and hoses!

Unbelievable!

·
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Successful DIY - Saved Big $$$$

Once again, many thanks BMR!:x

You have made me SUPER HAPPY as I can tell you that it is such a great feeling when a Do-It-Yourself (DIY) falls in as planned!:wink:

I disassembled the dash and took out the original (OLD) Instrument Cluster and replaced it with a newer one from a 1995 Toyota Camry LE from the Salvage yard. Paid a cool $21.00 plus the $2.00 entrance fee.:laugh:

Yes, I tried to follow one Video at YouTube about trying to set the mileage to what the vehicle has but, I was NOT about to BUST UP a newer Cluster so, I ditched the idea and just will check box the form saying that the vehicle has unknown mileage. However, Instead of selling it, I am anticipating that I may just donate the car to the Boys Club or Veterans Organization instead.0:) Someday........:grin:

Okay, just to let everyone know and to be clear, the newer Instrument Cluster works like a CHARM!:laugh: Using my I-PHONE (4S) and with a very accurate Speed Application (the one I had been using all this time so, I didn't get a speeding citation), the newer Speedometer is RIGHT ON THE MARK!

Additionally, the Tachometer is now registering 2,000 RPMs during hard acceleration during the up-shift and this is amazing since it never went more than 1,000 RPM.

All in all, I am a super happy camper!

A few pictures with comments:

Newer Instrument Cluster!

·
Registered
8,665 Posts
I'm glad you fixed the issues with the speedo but I'm actually sad you couldn't keep the odometer

·
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm glad you fixed the issues with the speedo but I'm actually sad you couldn't keep the odometer
Thanks!:grin:

Yes, the sad feeling didn't last long as my need to have an accurate speedo was more important than seeing the Odometer.

Anyways, many didn't believe me when I told em that my Camry was reaching 1/2 Million Miles.:|

Many don't like old cars and especially the Camry and when I show them the Old (original) Odometer then, they say,

"Oh, it's a Toyota what you expect!"

Never giving me any Credit for the up-keep!:surprise:

·
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both Instrument Clusters side-by-side!

Guys,

Since the newer Instrument Cluster came from a 1995 Camry LE, it seems like Toyota maintained the overall design the same for at least 1992 - 1995. I am sure it included 1996 and perhaps all the way to 1997?

Anyway, here's a picture of both side-by-side:

Attachments

·
Registered
8,665 Posts
lol...I bet if you said that you had a dodge neon or something with 480K, they might be blown out of their mind. Domestic cars weren't too great in the mid 90's...

I think the red line was the same from 92-96 even with the different engines. Not 100% sure, but no one ever mention that when swapping clusters.

·
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
lol...I bet if you said that you had a dodge neon or something with 480K, they might be blown out of their mind. Domestic cars weren't too great in the mid 90's...

I think the red line was the same from 92-96 even with the different engines. Not 100% sure, but no one ever mention that when swapping clusters.
I had a buddy that purchased a new 1992 Pontiac Sunfire and this is what he told me:

"Car started having problems 3 months after purchase. By 43,000 miles it needed a new tranny and had a blown head gasket. The interior was poorly designed as it was constantly coming apart. Driving was fair at best with a 2.0 4 cyl engine that had no power and it had very uncomfortable seats."

Yeap, you are correct, domestic cars back then (of course there are exceptions) were not very well built or designed.:wink:

·
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Guys,

An update, I will open a new thread citing the need to change out the combination switch at the steering column as the Head Light Switch has an issue. I have acquired one and will post a new thread citing why, how and etc......etc......

Stay tuned. ;)

·
4,037 Posts
Hey Guapo, 486K miles is awesome. Your enthusiasm and happiness over now having a working speedo and tach (albeit w/o a correct odometer) is inspiring and I'm happy for you. Hopefully you can keep track of your mileage with the new odometer and just add the additional mileage to the mileage on your old odometer.:smile:

·
Super Moderator
12,688 Posts
I'm wondering if you could get in there with a fine pick and roll those odo wheels on the new one to match the old? I know on older cars ya could.

·
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm wondering if you could get in there with a fine pick and roll those odo wheels on the new one to match the old? I know on older cars ya could.
Believe me when I say that I tried and tried and hard nylon type molded material is perhaps brittle enough to break 20+ year old Speedo section of the Cluster!:|

If you look at the following Video (Youtube), and pardon for the language (a couple of beers will do), the person does go into what needs to be done to release the digits (analog) so, to adjust for the "correct" mileage in case you are transferring a "newer" cluster. (FAST FORWARD TO 7:00 TIME HACK FOR INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO DO THIS) Noticed that the person really didn't do it!:wink:

The tiny pick will just break things as I tried and reason for me to just put everything back together.

Here's the Video:

·
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well Guys!

Over 2,000 miles on the newer ECM-ECU from a 1993 Camry LE and my 1992 Camry XLE is running like new without any Ugly Check Engine Light (CEL)!

The newer Instrument Cluster from the same 1993 is the one that I am keeping accurate track of the mileage so, it as well has performed very well and the Tachometer has been very accurate, especially when I slightly gun the throttle!

Getting very good gas mileage and power with the newer ECM-ECU!

·
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Like to report that the Donor ECU is still running my 1992 Camry XLE very well and without any issues.

Not bad for $12.00 US from the Salvage Yard.

Since then, I had issues with the IAC coolant bypass hose and it killed my new Distributor and other Electrical components, however, it has since been ALL replaced and Camry is running smooth and Strong!

·
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Guys,

It is March 19th, 2018 and with a little over 516,000+ Total Miles both the Instrument Cluster and ECU are doing great and no CEL.

Speedometer and Tachometer are doing great from the Donor at the Salvage Yard (1993 Camry LE) and I am just amazed!

Saved a TON of $$$ by going this route.

It still runs and very nicely!

Guapo:laugh:

·
Registered
948 Posts
One would hope to just use a pick....... here's some photo help, gen 1.5

The small worm gear has to be moved to make large changes, or one can use a drill..... my drill was dead.

For fun I even included the original pic, for accuracy im 1.1 miles off lol

·
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
GEN 1.5 is NOT GEN 3, hence the Section of Camry we are discussing.

Thanks for the info but, I can assure you that the GEN3 and perhaps subs can not be moved without damaging the speedometer, otherwise I would have done it. ;)

guapo

·
Registered
948 Posts
GEN 1.5 is NOT GEN 3, hence the Section of Camry we are discussing.

Thanks for the info but, I can assure you that the GEN3 and perhaps subs can not be moved without damaging the speedometer, otherwise I would have done it. ;)

guapo
Well you got an old busted-up one, entertain us.

Prove me wrong that the mechanicals are different, then I might start believing the snake oils you use.

I've been following your car since you hit 400,xxx miles and not once have you changed a gasket, you ask for help then you trash everyone's ideas before using some form of additive. Are you afraid to work on the motor?

Weather it's gen 1.5, gen 5, Celica, it don't matter as it's all Toyota. They all used the same parts. But I guess cause mines "so old" I'm dumb about all the electronics, right?

And if they need is to be a condescending prick, don't worry I can be that guy. I know what section Camry I'm posting in, I know what motors they use, like your 5s, also in the gen5 celica. Not much changes from car to car just the name and the looks.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts