Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Toyota Corolla
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I have a bad tie rod end and ball joint on the passenger side. I separated the end and tried to remove it but the outer end of the rod is really rusty so I'm having a hard time getting a bite on it. I was thinking of just buying an inner tie rod, boot, clamps etc. along with the tie rod end (Probably do both sides). This is the only working car we have so when I take it apart I need to know that I have what I need to complete the job and alldata sucks some arse in details for this procedure. Have any of you done this on one of these cars? What is involved in removing the tie rod, rather than just the tie rod end? I don't want to remove the boot yet until I'm ready to do the work. It has power steering. Am I going to be able to just separate the end and then rotate the inner tie rod (using wrenches of course) to remove it? What's under that boot? What all will I need to buy? Again, alldata sucks in this department! Second, have any of you purchased those cheap 10 piece kits from ebay with all of these parts? I know I'd rather go OEM but this is a $700 car and I'll probably only need it another year or so..
Thanks

·
Registered
1992 Toyota Corolla
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
have you tried soaking it in pb blaster? Thats always worked for me.
Thanks for the reply. That's the first thing I do when ever I see rust. I buy the stuff by the gallon :cool:. I live in Western NY, lots of salt. I'm now resolved to replacing the inner tie rod anyway, as it is so rusted. Have you ever changed one on these cars? I wish I had another car I'd just take the boot off and start on it.

·
iAzn
1988 toyo Corolla DX
1,492 Posts
It's really not hard to replace inner tie rods. Can be done in less than 30 minutes (or less!). There is a lock washer, which is basically a washer with two tabs that are bent to prevent the inner tie rod from backing itself out. Take a long screw driver and bend those tabs out the way. It may be four tabbed on some. After replacing and tightening the inner tie rod in, bend those tabs back.

If you ever replace the inner tie rod again...

Inner tie rod tool. Basically, eliminates the use of a open-end wrench which sometimes you have no room for. May run up to $40, but it works with ease.

After you replace the inner and/or outer tie rods, make sure you have an alignment done!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts