Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I’m having issues with my shift cable for my 92 GT, I want to honestly try and fix it but I may end up replacing it. The issue I’m having is the cable does not have enough strength to push into 2nd or 4th. At Idle it feels very spongy and feels like the cable does not have enough tension to push through and feel the resistance against the synchros. I’ve already tested by manually moving the shifter on the trans itself and ruled out that its not synchros, clutch is new, and theres no play in any bushings or clips and splits or poking in any of the sleeves. Another note is that while the car off , I tried to move it to from 5th to reverse and to enter the lock out and it has no force what so ever. I assume the cable itself has no more life in it but I’m not too sure about it. If anyone has one for sale I’d greatly appreciate it, I’m based in maryland. But if anyone has any tips or similar issues with a solution please tell me.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Another note is that while the car off, I tried to move it to from 5th to reverse and to enter the lock out and it has no force what so ever.
I don't understand this part of your problem statement at all. Enter the lock out? What does that mean? It has no force? What is the "it" that has no force?

The cable casings are held in place at the ends by brackets/clips holding the ends firmly in place. Have you checked that all the cables have these ends firmly intact on both ends of the cable sets?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you’re in 5th and move directly to reverse , the trains should basically restricts you from entering. But as I did this the cable felt as though it did not even have enough force to push against the shifter on the trans itself. Also I have checked the clips in each location, they are firm and even see if they had any play while we shifted the gears and they did not have any.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
OK. Just so you know, there is nothing in this particular setup locking out the potential from trying to shift into reverse from any gear. And, if moving forward and attempting to shift into reverse, there is no synchro on reverse gear, so you will grind gears doing so.

It would be best to take your top covers off your shifter so you can see the cables and what is going on when you use your shifter (car off and parked). Then have someone do the same with the shifter inside while you watch what is happening at the transmission end. You may have broken cable ends on the casings, or the brackets that hold the cable casing ends may have moved due to being forced at one time or another. The inside cable can potentially corrode and have movement problems, but this is rare. Sounds like the cable ends are intact yet.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Your shift cable is partially broken.

The primary cable, is multi wound wire, encased in a hollow cable. Some of the around wires habe broken, and unwound a bit. The broken area now has a little space b for the remaining, connected wires.

When going into 1,3,5, you are pulling the shift cable and the remaining wires remain tigh and straight. When going into 2,4, you are pushing the the cable and the remaining wires are able too bend inside the space left by the broken wires.

You are close to losing the ability to shift. The constant flexing of the remaining wires will lead to more frequent wire breakage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your shift cable is partially broken.

The primary cable, is multi wound wire, encased in a hollow cable. Some of the around wires habe broken, and unwound a bit. The broken area now has a little space b for the remaining, connected wires.

When going into 1,3,5, you are pulling the shift cable and the remaining wires remain tigh and straight. When going into 2,4, you are pushing the the cable and the remaining wires are able too bend inside the space left by the broken wires.

You are close to losing the ability to shift. The constant flexing of the remaining wires will lead to more frequent wire breakage.
Gotcha, I have cables on the way right now then. I knew it had to be somethin inside the sleeving. I appreciate the support honestly. Time to get her fixed up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.