Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
mk2 mr2
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have just got a 1992 mr2 with a 5s-fe engine in it and i got it home and it failed emission so i cant get it plated till i fix it, any suggestions on how to fix it?

excepted my mr2
NOx(gpm) 2.5 3.23
CO (gpm) 15.0 39.70
HC (gpm) 0.8 2.56

·
Registered
83 Posts
i have just got a 1992 mr2 with a 5s-fe engine in it and i got it home and it failed emission so i cant get it plated till i fix it, any suggestions on how to fix it?

excepted my mr2
NOx(gpm) 2.5 3.23
CO (gpm) 15.0 39.70
HC (gpm) 0.8 2.56
High HC--got any CEL action? Different t-stat? Any reason it would run in a cold mode or otherwise run rich?

IF you are lucky, you will fix the CO and NOx with the HC. My guess is your cat is burning the extra fuel, raising the NOx due to the heat and being overwhelmed on CO. Is your cat glowing red after a bit of running?

·
Registered
mk2 mr2
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
High HC--got any CEL action? Different t-stat? Any reason it would run in a cold mode or otherwise run rich?

IF you are lucky, you will fix the CO and NOx with the HC. My guess is your cat is burning the extra fuel, raising the NOx due to the heat and being overwhelmed on CO. Is your cat glowing red after a bit of running?

what do you mean "CEL action"?

t-stat is stock,the car runs on the cool side.

and why it is running rich i have no idea, the injectors are stock so i know its not cause of that. the car idols at about 1500 rpm, higher then what it should. and i havnt noticed the cat glowing red but i havnt driven it much yet, but i know the cat has never been replaced.

·
Registered
83 Posts
what do you mean "CEL action"?

t-stat is stock,the car runs on the cool side.

and why it is running rich i have no idea, the injectors are stock so i know its not cause of that. the car idols at about 1500 rpm, higher then what it should. and i havnt noticed the cat glowing red but i havnt driven it much yet, but i know the cat has never been replaced.
CEL = Check Engine Light

Running on the cool side could cause a rich condition.

A 1500 rpm idle could be the cold high idle, although that is high for cold high idle.

Have you ever pulled the OBD I codes?

I bet you have have an idle control or similar problem.

http://www.extreme-check-engine-light-codes.com/Toyota OBD1 Decoder.htm

A little hard to read due to the background, but this will get you going. If you don't have a CEL with cool running and a 1500 rpm idle, you should. You can have codes even without the CEL.

·
Registered
mk2 mr2
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
CEL = Check Engine Light

Running on the cool side could cause a rich condition.

A 1500 rpm idle could be the cold high idle, although that is high for cold high idle.

Have you ever pulled the OBD I codes?

I bet you have have an idle control or similar problem.

http://www.extreme-check-engine-light-codes.com/Toyota OBD1 Decoder.htm

A little hard to read due to the background, but this will get you going. If you don't have a CEL with cool running and a 1500 rpm idle, you should. You can have codes even without the CEL.
i havnt looked to see about the codes because the isnt a CEL on but i guess ill look them up now, and thanks for the link.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts