Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1992 pickup v6 4x4. It has a small vibration in 2wd from about 30-60mph and gets even worse when in 4wd. I have checked all the u joints and they seem to be good. I put in a new cv axle with no change. My tires are less than a yr old and have had the rebalanced. Any ideas of whaat is wrong?

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
... I have checked all the u joints and they seem to be good. I put in a new cv axle with no change.
How did you check the u-joints ?
I've seen people do grab and turn test and they seemed good, but actually were bad.
You can't always tell for sure with the drive shaft bolted up.

Did you check the flange bolts ?
They can work loose.

Does your truck have any suspension lift ?

Which CV axle did you replace (left or right) ? And why ?

Have you tried removing the rear drive shaft and driving around in 4HI and see what happens ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. It does not have a lift. I just did the grrab and twist method on the u joints. Checked all the bolts and they are tight. I replaced the left cv axle, it had a tear in the boot and some play in the joint. I have not taken out the rear drive shaft and drove in 4h that will be next. It started last winter when I got stuck in a big snow drift and heard a small pop when trying to get unstuck, its been vibrating ever since.

·
Yoda: Small & Green :-)
94 yoda
240 Posts
FWIW,

I had a vibration that would be in the 50mph area. It felt as though it was coming through my drivers seat... That's what made me investigate the shaft itself.

Tires balanced again... No change

Pulled the rear driveshaft, installed new u-joints (utilizing a press and not the hammer and vise method), and had it balanced at a driveshaft shop, No change.

Pulled the driveshaft back out and brought it to a second (non related) driveshaft shop.

Fixed it.

First driveshaft shop removed a stock weight on the shaft. When I asked they why, they said it was interfering with the balance. It didn't sound right to me, as it was a pretty hefty weight, and there were no new weights on the shaft.

Second shop owner asked me why the weight that was on the shaft had been removed, and I told him the story. When he re-balanced it, he had to put a large weight back on where the original one had been removed, then checked the balance again, where it turned out to be right.

Put the shaft back in the truck and it's been good since. That was 5 years ago. Sucks that I had to get two different companies to do the same job, but at least I finally figured out what it was.

BTW,

The vibration disappeared when I drove the truck in 4H with no rear shaft installed. It was then, I knew it was the rear shaft related.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sucks u had to bring the driveshaft in twice. My vibration was coming more from my wheel but now feels more like under my seat. My next move Will be to take the rear shaft out and go from there. I can normaly fiigure these things out but kinda stumped on this one. This site is pretty cool and helpful in trying to fix problems. I appreciate ur help and will post the outcome.

·
New Toyota Owner
1990 Toyota Pickup
87 Posts
Take the drive shaft out and play with the u joints then give them the turn and twist method and you can feel them better when out, check bearings. Also what about wheel bearings? Wiggle your in and out vertically does it wiggle?

Shouldn't take more then a few minutes to take out that drive shaft and you don't have to prop it up neither if you don't want :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts