Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1992 SR5 ex-cab 4X4
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello,

i have a 1992 toyota pickup, SR5 with 3vze v6 automatic. electrinic 4wd extended cab. i have a few problems:
when the truck is WARM and has been running for a little while, it idles extremely low, 250rpm and eventually stalls. i need to keep my foot on the brake and gas pedal at stop lights. is this an idle air control or bad intake sensor? i dont know if its the condition the engine is running in because it has no power what so ever and tanks through fuel. i also have 2 MIL's on the dash: rear antilock and the emergency brake light. how can i troubleshoot this? could it be grounds? does this vehicle use brake pad sensors? what are other things these trucks and engines come accross?

thanks, justin

·
NY born, Texas raised
705 Posts
If your brakes are dragging, it would give you terrible gas mileage but would not cause the stall. Maybe a bad spark plug or wire. While it is idling, careful pull one plug wire at a time and see if it effects idle. If you pull one and there is no change, could be no spark, bad plug, bad wire or bad cylinder.
What does it idle at when cold. If it is too low, when it warms it will be very low.

·
Registered
1992 SR5 ex-cab 4X4
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it idles high, fires right up during a cold start. maybe 1000 rps to warm up. takes a while for it to come down just sitting there idling, but if i drive it it warms up quick. just put new front rotors and pads, the calipers were fine. everything got greased and was well lubricated. has anyone ever heard of adjusting the proportioning valve in the rear? any specific bleeding procedure? the tranny shifts slow as all hell could that cause a big drag on the engine?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts