Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am currently new to this amazing forum. I recently purchase a red 1992 Toyota N/A MR2. I got the car for $3,400 USD with an extra set of four 5 Lug Enkei rims. The car had 128K when I bought and it still does. I will have pictures of the car soon, it has a great exterior due to a recent red paint job. (Stage 2 Clear Coat $800 Connection). The car was a good deal, but little that I know it had some major problems with it. This is where some of you MR2 owners can help me. Here are some problems:

The idle hits only 4,500 RPM on every gear. ( I can't race for shit until I get my Gen 2 swap, which would fix the problem).

I know it has something to do with the idle, but I'm scared to fuck things up more. I have $7,000 USD saved up so I have enough for the engine swap. I was told for the Gen 2 Swap it would cost about $3,600 which includes labor and parts. The only problem is I am scared to swap because it would not pass smog or emission (Fucken California). Maybe some of you MR2 owners give me some help on the idle or more information on my swap. Please let me know what's worth it and what's not.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
So you're saying that the engine doesn't rev past 4,500rpm? I've never heard of an N/A not revving past 4,500. Maybe you should try clearing your ECU by disconnecting the negative (black) terminal on the battery. Or maybe you could elaborate more on the problem, like does it stutter or pop or anything if you try to go past 4,500rpm? Or does it just not go any higher?

As for the swap, if you're worried about CA emissions, you might be able to have it retrofitted with an EGR system. That way you'll have the EGR provisions that you need. Otherwise, if you get caught, you're gonna have to go to a DMV referee station and have them scrutinize your engine compartment. :rolleyes:

Jason

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
if u have that much saved....sell ur NA...use some of that money...and get urself a turbo....no headaches to deal with swapping motors.....

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
^ It would probably even be cheaper to buy a turbo with a blown engine and swap it. It is a bitch to find parts if your clip isn't complete.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well give it three months and let's see what happens, right now my car sounds like a damn lawn mower and shit. I will have pictures soon.

·
Banned
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I want a engine swap for this reason, I live in California and most MR2 owners, which are basically everyone have not taken care of their MR2 Turbo Engine. I also want to keep my 1992 MR2 because its the car that I started with. My project car. The car is also a 1992 which is more rare then 93's and 91's ( in my opinion). I already got a paint job for it and some five lug enkei rims, I concluded that I want to get a low mileage US MR2 Engine Swap or a JDM low milage engine swap. I live in Cali, driving around with my little red ferrari is a bitch. Got pulled over twice for bullshit already. One for driving and not immediately turning on my headlights at night. I got over about 10 seconds from Q-CUP, and yet the asian cop was a dick. Second for some technical problems with the DMV. If they open my hood the next time and discover a JDM engine, I am completely fucked.

I have found a shop in Sac-Town, CA that does JDM engine swap

First Gen 3S-GSTE Engine Swap $3200 INCLUDES LABOR
Second Gen 3S-GSTE Engine Swap $3600 INCLUDES LABOR
Third Gen 3S-GSTE Engine Swap $5500 INCLUDES LABOR

How much less or more is a US TURBO engine swap?

·
400whp club here I come!!
HT MR2 Turbo
3,546 Posts
Those prices seem a little steep... my shop was going to do a 3rd gen installed for $3500. How much are they charging for just the labor?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts