Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 1992 Toyota Pickup, 4x4 V6 (165k miles)
It was on a car dealers lot and i took it for a test drive and decided to buy it. On the way home from the lot the truck just died. (NO SPARK)
Called the dealer i just bought the truck from and he stated that the truck was not running when he got it and he just replaced the Ignitor (used) and it had run fine for him. So he offered to get me a new ignitor from the same place he got the last one. I told him I was no mechanic and he said no problem he would replace it for me. three days later he called me and came to my house and replaced the ignitor and he also brought a used distributor with him and replaced that as well. The truck started right up. we let it warm up and he set the timing and he told me he was worried that the distrubutor was making the ignitor go out. So i took the truck for a drive and it died 5 minutes later. (NO SPARK) I called him and he met me and gave me a tow to a buddys of his garage. he said he would look at it and tell us what was going on. but they did not want to seem to talk about the truck and the issues it was having in front of me. he just told his buddy give me a call later and we were off. So the dealer is helping me and i have not had to put out any money on this problem yet, but i have the truck for almost two weeks and it keeps burning out ignitors. at least thats what it seems like to me.
ANY ideas what would be causing the ignitors to keep failing???
Or could it be some other problem that he is trying to keep my attention off of. I paid $6000 for a truck that has not run for more than 15 minutes and im beginning to think ive been shafted.
also he stated that the top end of the engine had just been rebuilt with a new timing belt and headgaskets. you can tell the engine has been apart latley it is very clean with lots of new parts. Im just wondering if there is not a short somewhere that they cant find.....
INPUT PLEASE.
THANKS IN ADVANCE.....

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts
You overpaid.

Take it back & demand your money back. Get one with a better track record.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I admit i payed top dollar, but the reason I paid top dollar is because this truck is mint mint mint. Not a dent, not a scratch, perfect interior, no rips, everything works and is clean clean clean. SO if you saw the truck you would understand why i paid top dollar for it. But thanks for letting me know....
by the way thanks for all the input.
It appears that the coil was going out. They replaced the coil and the truck is running great and is ready for another 150k miles

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
YOU CAN STILL READ THE CRUISE CONTROL BUTTONS. Most of the trucks ive seen they are worn off

·
Registered
139 Posts
I was gonna say "coil", but I'm no expert, so I didn't post.

Your new truck looks nice!

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts
GEEZ; it looks BRAND NEW~

1 - 14 of 14 Posts