Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For this tutorial I will be using a JDM key ring light purchased from Ebay. This will work for a DIY ring light as well. (Hopefully I'll get my DIY ring light working so I can make a tutorial on that). Apparently I forgot to take a picture of the JDM ring light. It's the one on the right.

Tools required:

Phillips head screwdriver.
Socket wrench (and breaker bar if you have one).
Extensions.
10mm and 14mm sockets (if I remember correctly).
Thin flat head screwdriver or knife.
Trim removal tool, or something thin and wide to pry with.
If you have an assistant, they will be a lot of help but aren't needed.

Estimated time to complete: 1.5hrs.

Step 1.

Disconnect the battery. (Not pictured)

Step 2.

Remove the driver's side kick panel and lower dash. I already made a tutorial for this, so I will link to it.

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/130-corolla-7th-generation-1993-1997/1121434-diy-driverside-lower-dash-removal.html

Step 3.

Disconnect the dome light plug. It's partially removed in this picture to make it easier to see.

For those wondering, the bottom pin is +12V. I believe the dome fuse blows when the second pin is checked with a multimeter. Sorry I lacked fuses to confirm this.

Step 4.

Remove the driver's crotch vet. It is secured on the left side by a screw. It will need wiggled slightly so the right side can be freed.

Step 5.

Dropping the steering column. Remove the two 14mm bolts, and two 14mm nuts that secure the steering column.If you have an assistant, have them support the steering column. Carefully lower the front end, then lower the rear and slide it back slightly.

Step 6.

Installing the ring light. Do not remove the ignition switch. I removed it believing it was necessary, but it was not. I didn't get a good picture because this was the hardest part. The ring light must be slid over the ignition switch, with the light to the top right. Any other position and reinstalling the steering column is a huge pain.

Step 7.

Reinstalling the steering column. This part was very tricky for me, and I wish I had an assistant. Slide the steering column back slightly to make sure the ignition switch with the key ring light don't smash into the dash. Then carefully bring it up and forward so it can be installed on the studs in back. Reinstall the 14mm nuts and bolts. Be careful, the ring light will want to spin and fall off. Try to keep the light to the top right or else it will be difficult to reinstall the bolts.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Step 8.

Reinstall the driver's crotch vent. While reinstalling the vent, think about how you want to route the wiring for the keyring light. I chose to place it over top the crotch vent as seen here. The black fader module is seen at the right of the vent. You can secure it by a zip tie if you think it will rattle around.

Step 9.

Plug the keyring light connector into the junction box where the dome light plug was. Then plug the dome light connector into the back of the ring light connector.

Step 10.

Secure the ground wire. I chose to use the body ground near the blue junction box. Make sure any excess wire isn't dangling near your feet.

Step 11.

Install the black bezel. The ring light loosely fits onto the ignition switch, so now is the time to install the bezel. If you wait until the driver's dash is reinstalled, the bezel might not sit flush. (Ask me how I know)

Step 12.

Reinstallation of the driver's lower dash and the kick panel is the reverse of disassembly.

Step 13.

Reconnect the battery and test your new keyring light!
(Not sure if it's just mine, but the light is uneven and kind of dim during the day. This was taken while my car was covered in shade.)

I hope this guide was helpful.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How do you know? :laugh:

FYI as far as brightness goes, I swapped the bulb with a T5 size 12V white LED, but I did the DIY ring light.
Is yours finished?? I want pictures!! If not, do you want a set of male/female plugs? I came up with an idea for a DIY bezel too, and will be testing it soonish.

Unfortunately for me, my bulb is now permanently attached. I spent over 30 min carefully lining up and gluing the broken plastic fingers into position. Then I couldn't put the bulb back in, so I had to snap off a few fingers, then the bulb was loose and still didn't seat inside 100%. I then glued the broken fingers, the black lock ring and the wiring together with black silicone adhesive. The superglue I have off gasses badly and I was afraid it would fog up the bulb had I used it instead.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It’s not wired yet, but having replaced other bulbs in the car with that same kind, I know the brightness difference is night and day. I will be sure to post pictures once the ring light is lit up!

And actually, I could use the male/female connectors, that would be great.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
It’s not wired yet, but having replaced other bulbs in the car with that same kind, I know the brightness difference is night and day. I will be sure to post pictures once the ring light is lit up!

And actually, I could use the male/female connectors, that would be great.
PM me an address and I'll send you a set. I had to order 10 pairs minimum, so I have a few extra. lol

They come with the terminal pins, so if you don't have a crimper, I'd suggest getting one.

Do you need the male plug for the Supra light? I bought a plug set and believe it fits. I can include that too if you need it.

I bought this one, but haven't used it yet. They have different sizes available too.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4L8QMW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
You shouldn't blow any fuses if the multimeter is set to check voltage. Maybe you accidentally let one probe touch 2 pins at once causing a short. Using alligator clips with insulation can prevent accidentally shorting between 2 pins.

·
Registered
31 Posts
PM me an address and I'll send you a set. I had to order 10 pairs minimum, so I have a few extra. lol

They come with the terminal pins, so if you don't have a crimper, I'd suggest getting one.

Do you need the male plug for the Supra light? I bought a plug set and believe it fits. I can include that too if you need it.

I bought this one, but haven't used it yet. They have different sizes available too.
[ame]https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N4L8QMW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]
hi thanks
Can you upload picture again?.
Pics that load for me have bad quality and not clear.
So thanks.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
They load clearly for me. Is this an issue for anyone else?
There's a big botophucket watermark, and I think they are slightly blurring the pics they host. They've been sending me E-mails saying they're going to blur all of my photos if I don't pay up, but I already downloaded the ones I want to keep, and have written off the rest. I'm very glad you can just host pics here now. Car forums are the only place I upload pics to.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Big watermark and blurry for me too.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ugh. I really don't want to go back and redo all my diy albums. I'm going to have to slowly start I guess.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
5 Participants
Chris94
Toyota Nation Forum
ToyotaNation Forum is a community dedicated to all Toyota models. Come discuss the Camry, Tacoma, Highlander, 4Runner, Rav4 and more!
Full Forum Listing