Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have this 1993 4 runner with a 6cyl 3.0 liter motor. These 4 runners are notorious for head gasket repair 1-4 times plus. The defect is in the motor. Toyota knows it is their deal of a bad design. Head gasket design changed at least 6 times. I have read countless emails about $$$$ for replacement.
I just got my truck back after 4 weeks at Toyota dealership in MI. I was under the impression my truck would be fixed head gasket.. I was told it was serviced under campaign in 1996. Problem being the Campaign was modified in 1997 and includes all 4 runners that have not had a repair since Oct 1996. Mine supposedly was done in May 96. The dealership has since closed 2005 BOB SAX- The recall includes sticker verification in door hinge. My truck had no sticker from repair in 96.
The story goes Dealership tells me it is done in 96 but they just did a 91 2 weeks ago bring it in we will help. This is the help I got. After 4 weeks and countless calls to Toyota California and a case opened to appease me. Then I am bounced from one rep to the next. Then back to Toyota Cal. Refer back to rep to be placed again with Service manager who said BIG GUYS said no.. The work was done in 1996. I tell then they knew this before I towed it in ( at my expense). I find this to be true. I am denied head gasket work to the tune of $4200 .. BUt they do the steering rod recall. I am thinking. I pay to haul my 4 runner there. I am told I will get help .. No help but the dealership makes money off the Replacing steering rod under campaign.. I KNOW IT STINKS..
I basically paid for them to make money off my truck which is useless to me now. I did find out that my info on OCT 96 via renewed Campaign for headgaskets 1997 does include 1990-1995 runners. ( Two vin endings and 7 numeric sets of two .. but mine is not on there.???? Yep the Service guy was really alerted by the new info and the Vin info.
He stated I can understand how you felt misled.. OH YEAH... and HOW MUCH IS TOYOTA paying for the steering rod.. I had to pay again to get my truck hauled home with BLown headgaskets and a new steering Rod. I again feel CONCERNED. I was told help to get me to bring my truck so the dealership can make money off steering rod campaign. If the dealership was aware work on V06 campaign was completed .. why did they say tow it in. ??? I think I know why. IF you have a 4 runner and have head gasket problems let me know perhaps if there are enough of us TOYOTA will back the DEFECTED motor 6cyl 3.0l that continues to blow headgaskets they will make it right by us.
:clap: . Thanx [email protected]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Clarification . On the page that states the extension of some trucks included in recall. The page provides only the part of the VIN # the Page reads like this
3VZ-E Headgasket SSC-V06
Commencing on Dec 1997,
Identification of involved Special Service Campaign Vehicles.
Vehicle Model VDS VIN RANGE.
1990-1995 4 runner VN39J 0031090-0180701 and
VN39W 800000-8076027
to Clarify and answer your question. The numbers VN39J include not only 003109-0180701 and the botom set of numbers: 800000-8076027.
The Service guy at dealership that fixed my truck under 50N steering rod Campaign. Told me the top numbers go with top only and do not include the bottom Vin range. This is an error. The numbers and include both VDS- VN39J - VN39W, My VIN number is JT3VN39W9P0097861 and includes my truck. This was verified to me by to different dealerships that say YEP YOUR TRUCK IS COVERED. The deal is to get Toyota to cover the bill. The page states since OCT 96 .. I am telling you. I have found this to be true. Yes, I understand the truck is old .. The fact is I paid for a towbill Two times. I was misled by GrandBlanc Toyota to fix the headgaslet on Campaign and they made money on a different Campaign at my tow expense.
I do not understand your LAME... But hopefully I have answered your question.
I am not the only one with Headgasket problems 1-4 times. Toyota knows the flaw in headgasket design. !!!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am looking at buying a 97 and was wondering if that year had any problems with the head gasket. I think a read a few early 97s's had issues, but i am not 100% sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There are several sites that will allow you to check for recall on 1997. The paperwork I have only includes 1990-1995.
Just keep researching it. I think the recall on the later years was due to Tires.. But read up on it and Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts