Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 Toyota 4x4 v6 with approx 225,000 miles. I replaced all
of the pads about 3 months ago and have had no problems. However, this
morning the dashboard brake light came on and stayed on. I checked the
fluid level and it it fine. The brakes seem fine.

Does anyone have any clue what else I might check? Thanks in advance.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter #2
"vjderose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I have this same problem on an '02 Tacoma. The dash brake light is on, the
>hand brake switch is OK, and the brakes and fluid level are good. It seems
>that the switch built into the master cylinder reservoir is stuck in a
>closed condition or shorted. When I unplug it the light goes out. I would
>love to hear from someone with knowledge of this system. The reservoir
>containing the switch can apparently be replaced for about $125 (a little
>more than a complete 3rd party rebuilt master cylinder) and the system
>would have to be bled. I'm wondering if there isn't an easier or cheaper
>solution. Thanks to anyone with more info on this!
>


Yes, the cheaper solution is to simply to what you did to extinguish the
lamp, pull the wire off. You are obviously a mechanical person and one would
hope that you check fluids on a regular basis.
 
G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I'm wondering if there isn't an easier or
>>cheaper solution. Thanks to anyone with more info on this!
>>

>
> Yes, the cheaper solution is to simply to what you did to
> extinguish the lamp, pull the wire off. You are obviously a
> mechanical person and one would hope that you check fluids
> on a regular basis.
>
>
>


Pulled the plug 10 years ago on my '94 4X4. Still alive & well &
no annoying dash light.
dc
 
G

·
Discussion Starter #4
In my JEEP -- yes, apples and oranges -- my brake light stays on if the key
is not returned to Run after Starting. The key can stick somewhere along the
way from Start to Run, and in this condition, the BRAKE lamp on the
instrument panel remains lit. Try rolling the key a bit to see if you can
get the light to go out.



<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I have a 1993 Toyota 4x4 v6 with approx 225,000 miles. I replaced all
> of the pads about 3 months ago and have had no problems. However, this
> morning the dashboard brake light came on and stayed on. I checked the
> fluid level and it it fine. The brakes seem fine.
>
> Does anyone have any clue what else I might check? Thanks in advance.
>
 
G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the comments, I'll try your suggestion with the key
position Jeff. For now, I have just unplugged the master cylinder sensor
and that works as a bandaid at least.
Jim D


"Jeff Strickland" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> In my JEEP -- yes, apples and oranges -- my brake light stays on if the
> key is not returned to Run after Starting. The key can stick somewhere
> along the way from Start to Run, and in this condition, the BRAKE lamp on
> the instrument panel remains lit. Try rolling the key a bit to see if you
> can get the light to go out.
>
>
>
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>I have a 1993 Toyota 4x4 v6 with approx 225,000 miles. I replaced all
>> of the pads about 3 months ago and have had no problems. However, this
>> morning the dashboard brake light came on and stayed on. I checked the
>> fluid level and it it fine. The brakes seem fine.
>>
>> Does anyone have any clue what else I might check? Thanks in advance.
>>

>
 
G

·
Discussion Starter #6
I had that same thing happen in my 93 toyota pickup and I also couldnt
figure it out. I just left it alone and it ended up going out on its
own. My grandap said that sometime there is a light that comes on like
that at a certine millage just so you check your brakes. He had that
happen in a little Nissan car one time.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top