Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Furrriiieezzzz
1995 Toyota Camry
32 Posts
This would be pretty awesome to do if you were going to drop a turbo in it (plus all the goodie engine work). I'm not sure why you would want to do this if you aren't going to be stomping and track-racing/city racing it though. Can it be done? Probably.

·
Asks many questions .....
441 Posts
I'm not sure why you would want to do this if you aren't going to be stomping and track-racing/city racing it though.
If you lived in these parts and not sunny CA you would understand why. :lol:

Every winter when we get snow, slush, ice and the likes all wheel drive is a very desireable atribute.
We are going through the roughest winter I can recall here since '96 in terms of winter precipitation. I plan remedy this problem by moving to a more southern locale where all wheel drive is rarely needed. :thumbsup:

·
Furrriiieezzzz
1995 Toyota Camry
32 Posts
If you lived in these parts and not sunny CA you would understand why. :lol:

Every winter when we get snow, slush, ice and the likes all wheel drive is a very desireable atribute.
We are going through the roughest winter I can recall here since '96 in terms of winter precipitation. I plan remedy this problem by moving to a more southern locale where all wheel drive is rarely needed. :thumbsup:
What is this 'snow' you talk about? Is it some kind of element?:rofl2:

On a more serious note, I didn't really think of it that way, I have never lived anywhere except Cali.

·
Registered
03 CAMRY XLE
3,245 Posts
install electric motors at the rear wheels

Definitely sounds like an R&D project.

What about keeping the original motor and front end drive, and then installing auxiliary electric drive motors at each rear wheel.

Figure out some way to run the motors using the original electric system ... maybe put a couple of extra batteries in the trunk.

... Would take quite a bit of overhaul to do anything like this. You would have to convert the rear wheel to a power driven unit, and still maintain braking capability.

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,960 Posts
I attempted this once. I bought the Celica gt4 rear end assembly and drive shaft. i learned that or Camry is wider than the gt4 and this means you need to modify the rear to make it work. I unfortunately couldn't continue due to a nasty divorce. Scrapped the project and drive my Camry as a fwd. It's not money you need but time and knowledge. If you don't have that then you need money and a parts car

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
There are Alltrac Camries in other parts of the world (for example, Russia). The engine is still transversely mounted, and there is a small thing out of the gearbox to power the driveshaft to rear wheels. Highlander is, in oversimplified terms, a jacked up and bloated Camry, so you could try to frankenstein a 4WD system going that route.

So, in theory, it is possible.

On practice, it is just not feasible unless you're a madman with too much time on your hands and want to make a statement. You'd have to do all the fab work on your own, and sourcing all the parts wouldn't be all that cheap either. It would easily cost north of 10 grand if you brought it to a shop for the work. At that level, you'd have to be nuts not to buy another car.

Sorry if I burst anybody's bubble.

·
Asks many questions .....
441 Posts
Might be easier to get another engine/trans and sub frame and just pop it on the rear of the car. Connect the throttle cables and steering inputs and you'd have all wheel drive and 4 wheel steering??

Or, you could do this ...... :facepalm:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.