Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Toyota Collector
12,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not 100% sure it's actually the transaxle, but I am 98% sure. The sound starts at about 60 mph, and peaks at about 75-80. The sound does not change with engine RPM, but goes away if I lift the throttle. It's a high pitched sound, and can be very very annoying! I can very faintly hear the sound at speeds below 50 mph (I think).

Of note, my 1987 Camry has the same noise, but is very slight and I don't hear it all the time. It's been like that pretty much since the car was new. The reason I mention this is I remember way back when that Gen2 owners were complaining about the whining/whistling and Toyota denied there was ever a problem, or said it is "normal". Does this sound familiar to anyone? Is there anything I can do about this? Different ATF, some kind of additive?

I don't care in my 87, the sound is faint and I don't hear it all the time. On my 93, the sound can get pretty loud and never goes away as long as I keep it in a certain speed range. What makes it worse is I have new tires, and the car is fairly quiet on the freeway.

Any advise? BTW I did a search on TN and couldn't find much of anything related to my problem.

·
V8'sRGone
95 Cam
1,956 Posts
For starters I'd dump the fluid out of the trans and diff and see just what it looks like.

So you're saying it makes noise under load and gets quiet when you lift off the throttle?

That sounds like final drive train type noises so I'd expect that you might find some metal in the differential.

Tests:
How much does it vary when swerving left? When swerving right? Are you sure its not a front wheel bearing? You could jack it up and check for looseness, but it sounds as if your ear is in tune with the noise. I'd anticipate some noise change when veering at speed but the fact that it goes away when you let off the gas implies its in the final drive so I go back to drain the fluid.

·
Toyota Collector
12,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It doesn't change pitch when I turn, or change engine speed. Only when I lift the throttle does it go away, and comes right back when I dip back into the throttle. I was sure I read many years ago that Toyota had a problem with some Camry's that had the noise coming from the transaxle. It never affected reliability (according to Toyota) it was just annoying. And trust me the noise is very annoying! I think it's more of a resonance, just a fluke or peculiarity of the gears that caused them to "sing".

The oil is new in both the diff and the transmission. I was just hoping that someone remembers about this problem, or has had it and found a way to at least reduce the annoying high pitched noise.

·
V8'sRGone
95 Cam
1,956 Posts
Anal - but is it a whistle or a whirrr'ish grrrrrrr. . . .

Does that trans keep the fluids completely separate? If you know for certain it does, I've seen em run gear oil in the diff. God forbid if the seals go bad and the fluids mix as it'll kill the trans.

I think you should invest stock in Pioneer! Good stuff. Sooner you loose your hearing the sooner the noise will be gone. . . lol J/k of course! I think you're stuck with it.

·
Toyota Collector
12,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's not like any gear whine I've ever heard, it sounds like a faint-ish whistle. I probably am stuck with it. I don't think I'll try gear oil, although that is very tempting to see if if changes anything. :eek:

·
A camry n00b
390 Posts
You know what 71Corolla..even I was experiencing the same issues lately with my car..especially after 60 mph. I know the boot clamp is a little loose around my passenger side axle and leaking grease. At this point I am guessing my whistling is due to CV joint getting low on grease...doesnt seem too logical though...ha ha.
Could it be wheel bearings otherwise? IDK

·
Toyota Collector
12,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I hope it's a CV problem (haha you know you've got problems when you hope your CV joints are failing) I'll take a look at them over the weekend.

·
Toyota Collector
12,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Took a look at my CV boots last night, no problems. But I did find a problem with the center bearing. The axle shaft moves in both directions shown in the pic, I assume this is not normal? Is it possible the mount is bad, or just a bad bearing? I can grab the axle and make it rattle a bit, both back and forth and up and down.

·
Toyota Collector
12,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to order the bearing, but before I do, can anyone confirm if the shaft should move around as I indicated? I don't want to go through all the work and expense for nothing. Thanks.

·
A camry n00b
390 Posts
which bearing do you plan to order? The Axle Carrier bearing or the wheel bearings? IMHO there should not be any movement in any of the CV axles. I am not an expert but my car doesnt have this kind of movement of bearing. Keep us posted...

Reactions: 71Corolla

·
Toyota Collector
12,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm looking to replace the axle carrier bearing. My wheel bearings are fine, although I might just replace the entire axle, seems like a much better way to go. The assembly appears to come with the carrier bearing going by this pic, is that correct? And does anyone have experience with EMPI? Any good?

·
A camry n00b
390 Posts
EMPI is a good brand but better would be RAXLES. Watch out for incorrect shaft length and inaccurate splines on the axle.If buying from NAPA/O'Reilly be sure to buy a their NEW axles. Dont buy their remanufactured axles. They are piece of junk.
I ended up exchanging 3 axles with them before my current one which is free of any vibration or looseness. Next time should any of my axles go bad I am gonna go with RAXLES. But I heard you need to buy online and get the axle shipped. But if for some reason it doesnt fit properly you will end up shipping that one to them for an exchange. This can be a very long and arduous process.
Let us know what choice you made and why! ATB

·
Toyota Collector
12,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That advantage for me is the EMPI units don't cost me to ship, and I can return them easily. RAXLES may not ship to Canada, I will have to call them.

I'll post back when I get it all sorted.

·
Yoter Noob
2000 Camry CE
53 Posts
I know this is a dead post...
Though I wanted to say I just recently bought a 2000 Camry CE... and I'm having the exact same whistling problem, but only when I'm in 5th Gear....
I'm going to put my money on a Final Drive issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Did you ever find the problem? I have the same symptoms. My car has 250K on it with original cv shafts. I think its the transaxle as there seems to be a lot of play in the CV shaft at the transaxle connection

·
Toyota Collector
12,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
"Problem" was never resolved, the noise comes and goes. I have concluded it is a flaw in the design that causes a resonation in the gears depending on speed. The problem does not get worse though, stays the same.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts