Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Celica
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check engine light came up twice, mechanic tells me its the o2 sensor, is this normal ? How long should an o2 sensor last ? Due to my (head gasket issues last month) they suspect the o2 sensor is worn/damaged due to coolant going through the exhaust. Comments ? And what is the usual cost of replacing one ?

thanxs, Harvey.

·
Premium Member
'96 Camry XLE
11,246 Posts
They go bad, it;s normal. Very well could have been caused by the collant.

Go to the store and get one yourself. If you get a univrsal one (wires, no plug) it's like $40 I think. If you get an OE replacement, like $100.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
it's actually about time your 02 sensor went out considering hte mileage and age of your car- there's no definite time frame, but anything over a couple hundred thousand and 10years, and it's no big surprise

if the CEL has popped twice even after reset and there were no big problems such as lean or rich conditions (bad enough to throw other codes at the same time), then your 02 sensor is dead- it has a multiple-trip code trip just to make sure of these things

and what adam said above is about right, though our prices in canada cost more, especially the dealership prices...

get basil to install a universal one for you

depending on which one it was that went, labor could be anywhere from half and hour to an hour I would think....though I'm not sure exactly what the book times are

1 - 3 of 3 Posts