Toyota Nation Forum banner

1993 Camry won't rev past 2000 rpm

12K views 31 replies 10 participants last post by  Marke21287 
#1 · (Edited)
Engine won't rev past 2000 rpm while out of gear I.e. while in park or neutral, in drive it revs fine. It's literally like it's hitting some sort of limiter while in park or neutral, it revs till 2k then cuts off, revs again, cuts off and so on.

It's strange what's causing this. I have been experiencing shift problems like the shifts are rough and the shifts are very delayed as well. Had my trans fluid and filter replaced a while ago thinking this would fix the shifting issue.

So what I had done to troubleshoot it from my side, I had checked for codes and transmission is giving code 63 which is something related to solenoid 2.
Then I reset the ecu by pulling out the EFI fuse and restarting the car it starts revving fine but shifting into drive and back to park/neutral brings back the issue.

Can someone please help me with this? :smile:
Mine is a 1993 4 cyl auto.

#4 · (Edited)
The problem solved by itself :lol: While I was a stop light I gave it some gas and it hit the limiter twice at 2000 rpm and then it has been revving fine since.
I've tried it a couple of times after that and there were no issues.

I had disconnected the TPS and giving it gas makes no difference. It revs to redline no matter whether the TPS is connected or disconnected and doesn't throw a CEL either.

MAP sensor hose has been connected properly, so I don't think that was causing the issue.
A while back I had an issue with the MAP sensor where there was a crack on the end of the hose and it made the engine run so poorly (misfiring) and it was rolling coal like a diesel.

So for now the problem has disappeared without a reason why it was happening in the first place. :lol:

Thank you for your responses. :D

#5 ·
MAP sensor hose has been connected properly, so I don't think that was causing the issue.
A while back I had an issue with the MAP sensor where there was a crack on the end of the hose and it made the engine run so poorly (misfiring) and it was rolling coal like a diesel.
A leaking/disconnected MAP sensor will lead to crazy-lean... throttle plate is introducing un-metered air, so fuel is constant (idle), while air is variable (wot), leading to lean. A disconnected MAP will be technically derivable, yet you won't go fast.

We had an EGR valve that stuck open... so there was un-metered air coming from the exhaust, and ran like crap. Finally just disconnected it, and haven't gotten around to replacing it (now throwing a code). Also ran lean, ugh. At least it didn't stick closed, which would be rich (if the system didn't take it out of the loop).

#6 ·
Restarting an old thread.

The problem is back again but now with a bang. The car is barely drivable now, keeps on hitting the rev limiter in gear or neutral around 2000 rpm.

Things that I tried:
Resetting the ECU by removing the battery.
Unplugging the MAP and TPS sensors.
Unplugging the thermostat.

None of them helped.

Can an unplugged MAP also cause it not to rev past 2000 rpm?

#10 ·
If still no CEL,

It's electrical (voltage), fuel delivery, air (Intake / Exhaust), or mechanical timing (Distributor) related.

How old is the Battery,
how old is the Distributor,
how many miles / years on the Timing Belt, Water pump, Idler & tension pulleys,

and how old is the Fuel Pump in the vehicle?

#17 ·
If you suspect it is fuel: then I would diagnose fuel first - ^^ a new fuel filter, and a test light, and/or buzzer, back-probed or pierce-probed into the positive (+) feed for the Fuel Pump: so you can visually confirm / or hear if the fuel pump is getting power .. when the issue occurs.

Another alternative is to install a fuel pressure gauge in-line between the fuel filter outlet <-> and fuel rail, to observe pressure when operating.

#21 ·
That's a lot of reasons! This is for sure a hard one to diagnose.

I can assure that there is a vacuum leak or something related to fuel as the idle is pretty rough and most of the times while cruising around 60 mph it feels like there's a misfire.

One of my friends 5VZ had an issue where it would misfire at lower revs and after replacing the fuel injectors it fixed the issue for him.

It would be better off to take it to a mechanic I believe. Certainly it would have been easier if we could narrow it down to one issue but life doesn't work that way haha!

Thank you for all the responses.

#24 ·
It would be interesting to know if this was ever resolved because I am experiencing the exact same thing and I suspect you may have answered your own question by providing a transmission error code and comment about recently changing transmission fluid, yet no one addressed these as the possible culprit. I am now experiencing similar behavior on an 02 Solara V6 AT after an aftermarket CV axle caused me to lose most, if not all, of my trans fluid. I'm hoping the transmission isn't a massive paperweight now and starting by trying to get the proper fluid level in there which is proving difficult because I have no idea how much I lost. But in this effort, sure as sh#$ if I'm in Park or Neutral, rev-limiter effect at about 2100rpm, but doesn't do it on my short test drives (I currently have no reverse and it seems to want to drive in neutral, and somehow stockpiles reverse energy and tries to propel the car backwards after trying to go in reverse and shutting it off, so my problem is not solved yet) In my situation it doesn't feel so much like a rev-limiter, but like it's hitting friction and I suspect it's related to improper fluid level in the torque converter and who knows what other internal AT damage. And if I were a bettin' man I'd say the root of your problem goes back to that transmission work.

#25 ·
Very keen to know if the Camry problem with not revving past 2000rpm has been resolved. I have a Camry 220si 5S-FE with the same problem. This is a manual gearbox. The car revs to around 2000rpm and then cuts like a rev limiter activates. Certainly a firm cut, not a fuel starvation cut.
We have tried a new TPS sensor, Ignition coil, plug wires, distributor cap. Plan to try a new ignitor tomorrow.
Any other input would be appreciated.

#29 ·
This may or may not be helpful…

I recently had trouble with the 3S-FE in my Rav. It would not rev past ~4500 RPM. Behaved like it was hitting a rev limiter. It was caused by the timing belt having slipped 1 tooth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.