Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning on my way to work my 1993 303,000 miles Camry began losing power. It started just fine this morning until I went down a steep hill and came to a stop at the stop light. While at a dead stop it began slowing up and down as if I were out of gas. When I accelerated it became worse then lunging with power again.

I immediately drove the car into to a local shop and had the mechanic look at it. He said as cars get older they needed more frequent tune ups and I should disregard the recommended schedule and have it tuned up more often.....like now but he couldnt get to it today that it would be fine to drive on into work. SO i schedule a tune up and was on my way.

However, once out on the road again it began slowing up and down as if I were out of gas. When I accelerated it became worse then lunging with power again. It had power for a few minutes on a straight away but then having to stop at another red light at the top of the hill it went about a foot lunging slightly and then stopped right in the middle of an intersection. I saw a little smoke coming out from under the hood and got out and waited to have someone help me push it to the side of the road.

Could this be a fuel filter problem? I should add that I have treated this car like a baby since new. Regular oil changes, maintenance, etc. So this was a shock although the high mileage.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! I am a single female who had hopes of finishing college without having to buy another car!

·
限界域への独&#
605 Posts
I would start with the fuel filter. It's an inexpensive fix, and should probably be changed anyway if it hasn't been done recently.

Is the car a V6 or an I4?

·
Whine Connoisseur
6,573 Posts
Get a reputable mech to diagnose the car properly insead of just throwing money at it. The mech can monitor the fuel pressure and should easily be able to tell you if the root of the problem is fuel related (pump, injector, filter). Some other places to look at are spark plugs and wires, throttle body cleaning, EGR, PCV.

After the car died the second time, were you able to restart again?

·
Traitor
332 Posts
did it just stall or something?

my 93 camry has 118xxx miles on it and after going on the freeway for a while at high speed...it stalls when i come to a stop(getting off the freeway)...it just stalls...all the power stays on but the engine shuts itself off....i dont know know why this happens...all i do is restart the car and im on my way...i dont know what the problem is.... :confused:

·
S14 Fever :D
1993 Toyota Scepter
2,456 Posts
Or check your Air Flow sensor. I had the same problem, I would come to a stop or start braking and my car would stall/die on me but the power was still on(Radio, lights,etc.) It turned out to be the air flow sensor. I had it replaced and I've had no problems since

·
Registered
98 Posts
symptoms at quite similar to when my father's 94 cam got a cracked camshaft and the 4th cylinder was coming in and out, the knotheads at ronsicks auto couldnt figure it out until it was too late. I could be mistaken though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.