Toyota Nation Forum banner

1993 Celica GTS Overheating. New water pump and new radiator.

10K views 31 replies 3 participants last post by  93celicaconv 
#1 ·
Ok, I just bought myself some problems in the form of a '93 Celica GTS. (5S-FE)

Well, alright, that's a little dramatic. it just overheats. but here's my issue. it's got a new water pump, new radiator, and is still overheating. The guy I bought from says it's in the block, cuased by an attempt to plug a radiator leak with stop leak. he said it just had a minor leak in the radiator, so he put stop leak in it, and after that it started overheating. he's replaced the thermostat, water pump, and radiator since then. my first question is, could he (and I) be overlooking something? could there be a clog somewhere easier to access? and then if there isn't, how should I go about cleaning out the block? are there areas I should check? anything I should do to try to unclog it? my current plan is to put cooling system flush in (he has some) and drive it home (about 55min. drive) with the flush in it, then empty it and hope for the best.

Oh, yeah, he stilll has it. I will be picking it up some time in the next week or so. guess I should include that info. I'm not paying very much for it, so I still have a fair bit of money left in the budget for tools and parts for it if need be. hell, I have enough to buy an engine for it if necessary. so if you haveany ideas, please help meh!

Thanks a million!

See less See more
#3 ·
No, I haven't! I can't believe I didn't think of this. I will check that. and if that isn't the issue, is there anything else I could check?

#5 ·
ok, update! I will be picking the car up saturday. hopefully it will make the 60 mile journey home without too many stops.... it will be a sweltering 20 degrees so making it cool off will be such a drag... lol I will give you another update with pics when I get it home.

#8 ·
Ok, with some drama, it is home. still overheating. the heat does NOT work hardly at all, even while overheating. Fan is operated by a switch in the cab. is functional. and it was overheating at 65mph on the highway, so fans are out. right now it looks to me like thermostat or water pump.

#11 ·
If we look at a single cause for all your symptoms, I would say you have little coolant flow throughout the system (not enough to get heat from the heater core, not enough to get hot coolant cooled in the radiator, not enough to flow coolant through the engine. You could have multiple issues accounting for all your symptoms, but I wouldn't tend to want to problem solve that way.

The fact that you have a new water pump installed is concerning. Assuming it was installed correctly (toothed part of the timing belt in contact with the water pump pulley), it would be hard to imagine the water pump is at fault. Did you install the water pump? Did you spin the water pump pulley prior to installing it and made sure the impeller was solidly attached to the shaft?

Equally hard to imagine is that there is a blockage so great that it is clogging flow through the entire system.

Regarding the air bubble theory, the only way an air bubble can block flow through any part of the system is if it resides within the water pump itself.

If you changed your water pump, why did you change it? Was it overheating prior to changing the water pump? Did you see anything wrong with the old water pump? How did you burp (remove air) from the system when you were finsihing the work and adding coolant into the system?

#12 ·
I personally did not do the water pump. The previous owner did. Once I get the service manual for it I was planning to check that. If I get a chance through the snow, I was planning to open up the cooling system and see it there is any flow through it at all.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#13 · (Edited)
Update: Yesterday we did some diagnosis and figured that it was a non-functional water pump. we pulled the top radiator hose, and there was zero flow through either end. so we went out and bought a new water pump, and once we got down to it, we realized that it was really an engine out job. So, since we both go to tech school in the auto tech class, we decided we are just going to trailer it out there and do it right. before we do that though, I'm going to try to force water through the cooling system with a garden hose, just in case it is just an air bubble somewhere causing this. Am I missing anything?

#14 ·
It's too late now, given you've taken things apart to the point you have to trailer the car now to get to the water pump (which surprises me regarding access, on my 5th Gen (1993) Celica GT, I was able to put a new water pump in w/o removing the engine). Not sure why yours would be different.

Anyway, if the engine was cold when you ran your test with the radiator hose off, there shouldn't have been any flow. Your themostat was closed, which prevents flow through the radiator. I would have removed one of the heater hoses to check for flow. Regardless of the engine coolant temp., coolant flow through a radiator hose (provided the control valve is open) is always constant. If you had no flow there, I don't know what else it could be than your water pump, as I really doubt that the cooling chambers are so plugged that a working water pump couldn't push coolant through it.

#17 ·
For reference, for the 1993 model year Celica:
  • ST: 4A-FE 1.6L N/A Engine
  • GT: 5S-FE 2.2L N/A Engine
  • GTS: 5S-FE 2.2L N/A Engine
  • All-Trac: 3S-GTE 2.0L Turbo Engine
The 5S-FE & 3S-GTE engine are identical in physical size, only the bore is different to cause the displacement difference. So your GTS and my GT have exactly the same engine. You shouldn't feel you have to remove the engine to get the water pump out.

Also, when you tested for coolant flow, if you did your test with the engine hot and with only to upper radiator hose off, you should have seen flow (until the radiator would have been pumped out empty). Sounds like you did not. That could be a sign of a stuck-closed thermostat. But even with a stuck-closed thermostat, if the water pump was good, you should have had coolant circulation in the engine, resulting in coolant circulation in the heater core, so you should have had heat. Do you know if your heater core coolant valve is operating properly, and not disconnected or broken in the closed position?

Bubbles of steam coming out? Are you using a 50:50 mix of anti-freeze and distilled water? Hopefully not just pure water (pure water boils at a 212 deg F, which the cylinder walls are above, so the walls won't have any liquid against them to take the heat away, which is very problematic. A typical 50:50 mix coolant boils at a much higher temp, and usually will not boil at the cylinder wall surface, so heat dissipation is good. If it did boil, it should condense back out to liquid before it reaches your radiator. So all this sounds "unusual".
It may have had a little water in it still, because when I was driving home it ran out completely, and I limped to a grocery store, and had to use distilled water.

#18 ·
It may have had a little water in it still, because when I was driving home it ran out completely, and I limped to a grocery store, and had to use distilled water.

I read through all your previous posts. This is the first time there was any mention of loosing coolant. This was before you started taking things apart (ran out when driving home). With all the work to repair a leak, you still have one? What & where is the leak?

If you drove it with no coolant, you probably will have a greater issue than trying to fix an overheating problem now.

Any idea how much stop leak was dumped inside this car? And do you know what kind of stop leak was used? I took an engine apart once where the owner said they used some stop leak - it was amazing the amount of sediments in the cooling chambers in the block (preventing proper cooling), and the radiator and heater cores were all clogged. One would have to use quite a bit, but some people are looking for quick fixes.

#23 ·
We have yet to find a pressure tester that works on my radiator. going to try one of the other classes' tester today, and will be putting in the new water pump.

#24 ·
the other class' Pressure tester worked, and it held pressure perfect, cold and at temp. then we tested the coolant for exhaust gas and it came back negative. so in other words, when I put the water pump in (should be tomorrow) then the cooling system should be good to go.

#26 ·
Ok. it's been a while. I apologize for not updating sooner. we just got everything back together today, and turned it over, only to find that there are 2 notches in the cam pulley alignment system, and we did the wrong one, apparently. thank god it's a free rolling engine! we now just need to line everything up right. oh, and the suspected issue at this point is in fact the water pump. we (obviously) have not been able to test with the new pump, but we'll see. why is the water pump suspected to be the issue? well...

Tomorrow I will try to get her running, so I can tell you she's fixed. :)

#27 ·
Ok. it's been a while. I apologize for not updating sooner. we just got everything back together today, and turned it over, only to find that there are 2 notches in the cam pulley alignment system, and we did the wrong one, apparently. thank god it's a free rolling engine! we now just need to line everything up right. oh, and the suspected issue at this point is in fact the water pump. we (obviously) have not been able to test with the new pump, but we'll see. why is the water pump suspected to be the issue? well...

Tomorrow I will try to get her running, so I can tell you she's fixed. :)
I'm glad you found a reason for no coolant flow. But, your very first post said the car had a new water pump. Your picture is not that of a new water pump. So what's up with the new water pump from the 1st post?

#29 ·
Ok, it was a craigslist car. They said it was new.

You might want to take your removed water pump back to the prior owner and ask him if he still has the receipt for that new water pump so you can exchange it for a warranty replacement. I have a distaste for sellers that falsely advertise what they sell and they never receive any feedback, so they keep doing it. But that is the type of society we are, I guess.

#31 ·
3rd time's the charm in the case of putting on a timing belt... lets just say I'm glad for non-interference motors...

Anywho, she started today. only for a moment, as the serpentine belt hadn't been put on yet. so tomorrow I'm going full day to get this stupid thing done! Timing covers, motor mount, power steering, Fill 'er up with coolant, and if I have time, bleed the brakes and clutch. I plan to drive her back home from the shop tomorrow! no trailers. :) We shall see. once I have it back together, I'll test to see if she won't overheat. she only has one radiator fan though at the moment... :/ I'll set out a shop fan in front of it. the fan will be a home fix, along with the dash, which needs some hardware to be remounted, and then it gets it's new head unit and alarm (with remote start) once it passes inspection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.