Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son bought a 1994 Camry (4 cyl) this past summer and it only came with the valet key. It occasionally wouldn't start and we were able to get it to start by flipping the valet switch. Now it won't start no matter what we do. We have disconnected the battery (both terminals), still locked up, I disconnected the sensitivity box on the floor next to the brake pedal (nothing).

The red led light is on. Any suggestions on how to get to reset, disable completely, or what need to do.

I know very little about cars so any ideas suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,300 Posts
You'll need to set off the alarm for a few seconds.
Then, look under the dash area for a button or, a toggle
switch. When you locate it, turn on the ignition
key, press and hold in the button (little
spring loaded micro button, red or black possibly)
until the alarm chirps 1 time. This should over ride
the system, and only the keyless entry part,
if installed, would still be operating.
The LED (light emiting diode) light in the dash
should also go on solid.

At this point. the alarm would have reset.
If this had a starter kill relay installed,
it would now be opened, and the engine would
turn over when tried.

You would repeat these steps to go back to
user mode to see if this was corrected.

But since you have no remotes to control it,
I'd keep it this way, and
replace the alarm asap with one you know and
understand how it operates for the best overall
experience.

Let me know if it works for yours.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When we disconnected the battery, the alarm system seemed to work (horns, light, etc.) We will try following your directions tomorrow and hope and pray it works. The car has a toggle switch and the box by brake does not have any buttons other than a dial to adjust sensitivity.

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,300 Posts
if that doesnt work, try to turn the ignition key on off on off ending in the off position. Most factory alarms will temporarily disable when you do this.

Normally you can disable it by turning the ignition to the on position and then just pushing the button or toggling the switch . Just remember if successfully disabled the security light should be solid

·
Registered
6,165 Posts
This may not be a problem with the alarm, but rather a problem with the car's starter. Do you hear 1 click when you turn the key to the start position? If so, you may have the common worn starter solenoid contacts problem. To varify this, lift the hood and locate the starter and solenoid. Have someone hold the key in the start position while someone taps the starter's solenoid with a small hammer or a wrench. If the car now cranks/starts, you have varified the common worn starter solenoid contacts problem. If so, so a search on this forum for "starter contacts" and read up on it's causes and it's cures. It has been covered numerous times on the forum.

Mike

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,300 Posts
Maybe starter, i would check to make sure that you are getting voltage to the starter as well (multi-meter is useful or test light) . The smaller wire connecting to the starter is going to be the wire that is switched voltage. Put a test light onto that wire, and have someone crank the motor to verify you have voltage there before testing the starter itself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Think chuckoff is right. Pulled starter out and had tested at autozone. No problems showed up. Put back together and same problem.
Alarm is triggered but when get LED light to solid red, no start, no click, no nothing. All accessories and everything else do come on but no start.

·
Turbo Snail
Cam A Roo
5,300 Posts
Maybe starter, i would check to make sure that you are getting voltage to the starter as well (multi-meter is useful or test light) . The smaller wire connecting to the starter is going to be the wire that is switched voltage. Put a test light onto that wire, and have someone crank the motor to verify you have voltage there before testing the starter itself.
^^^ Doesnt hurt to see if your getting voltage from the ignition switch. If the LED is solid, Im pretty sure it means its disabled. (User Selected). If it were active, it would be blinking (I have a factory alarm in my 95 camry and this is what it does)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts