Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
FJ nut
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As much as I brag about being in love with my cars, I have never changed the transmission fluid myself and I am ashamed of myself but I will change that now.

Anyway,, this is what I did.. tell me if I messed up anywhere in my steps.

1) Took bottom trans cover off. Very easy.
2) Tried to open plugs (top filler, bottom drainer) but they were jammed. Got dealer to loosen them for free. They know me well.

3) At home, I put my car at about 7 degree angle. (top higher than back). Was it supposed to be completely flat?

4) Drained all fluid and it was so clear and clean after 30k miles that I was amazed and felt stupid changing it.. Is it not supposed to be changed every 15k miles?

5) I let it drain for 10 mins only and put the drain plug back in there.

6) Had bought a 7 dollar pump from Advanced Auto Parts store. Hooked it on top of a 3.79L (4QT) conventional 80W90 transmission fluid container bought from Walmart and pumped it in through the filler hole UNTIL the oil started seeping out from the top.

7) I naturally stopped and let the excess out (Pls remember my front of the car at about 8 degree elevation now). Once all excess was seeped out. I put the fill plug back in there. Only a little came out. Not too much.

8) I noticed that 3 QTS were used. The Toyota dealer had said 3 to 3.5 QTS. If my car was flat, more would have seeped out making it less than 3 QTS inside so it should be exactly 3 QTS in there.

Was my car's angle right? Did I drain properly? Did I under/over fill?
Was my viscosity ok 80W90? Dealer recommended is 75W90.

·
Registered
398 Posts
you did well

·
Registered
1994 Corolla DX
1,121 Posts
I would have used these instead, but that is just me.

a little hint for others who may try to do this on their own: Always make sure you can loosen the top (filler) bolt first before loosening the lower (drain) bolt, otherwise you'd be in a real challenge to keep the oil in the tranny lol

·
FJ nut
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would have used these instead, but that is just me.

a little hint for others who may try to do this on their own: Always make sure you can loosen the top (filler) bolt first before loosening the lower (drain) bolt, otherwise you'd be in a real challenge to keep the oil in the tranny lol

Good idea but the car is 15 years old and also my pocket is almost empty.. :sosad:
I still have two more cars to do this on in my garage.

However, I do have full synthetic as engine oils for all vehicles.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts