Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My g/f's 1994 MR2 is pretty much bone stock and recently is running low at idle. Normally around 1200 RPM it dips as low as 800 sometimes and is affected a lot by the AC being on or pressing on the brakes.

Reading other posts, it looks like it could be the O2 sensor. Any other thoughts or should I just replace that first? Any links to an engine diagram or instructions on replacement? Never worked on a mid-engine.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts
how many kms are on the car??.....when was the last time it had a tune up??......

btw....lucky dude...ur girl drives a 94.....:thumbup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking it is around 160k miles or so.. not sure on any of the previous service. What other service items could cause a low idle but otherwise normal operation? It starts easily.. all other systems seem to work fine, runs smooth.

Haha.. thanks, she is a car freak if nothing else :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
1200rpm is actually high. 800rpm sounds right to me. With AC on, it should go up, not down. Check throttle linkage, 02 sensor, or vacuum leaks, esp if its a turbo.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At 800ish it struggles to keep running...so obviously it's not getting the right air/fuel to keep running smoothly. If 800 is a normal RPM for idle, then it is also idling high.

Yup, it is a turbo so guess we need to check for that also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
you can try resetting the ECU and see what happens.. it could also be the AFM.

aside: How many posts do i need before I become a non 'noob' ? can't seem to edit that on this forum. oh well.

·
Noobie With A Dream
1993 MR2 Turbo
151 Posts
I have a '91 turbo that's doing the exact same thing. Although, it just started a couple months ago, and nothing has been done to the car for about a year. I cleaned out the throttle body the best I could, but it didn't seem to change anything. I can't figure out what it could be.

·
Registered
123 Posts
The correct idle is about 800 RPM for a warm motor. (I always made mine a bit higher to get some cooling at idle.)

The BGB states that the idle should be the same with the A/C on. Assuming that a '94 is the same as a '91-'93, there is an A/C "Idle Up VSV" that bypasses air around the throttle plate to compensate for the load of the compressor.

If the idle is at 1200 on a warm motor, you need to look into why that is. The idle should be about 800 when the E1 and TE1 terminals are shorted together in the Diagnostic connector.

·
'87 Mr2 Growler
1987 Mr2
48 Posts
My car idles when you have it in neutral...1500RPM. but when you shift to 1st gear, it runs and it doesn't idle anymore... but it has no A/C .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts