Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is actually my first time dealing with a toyota pickup. My girlfriend's dad has a 94 toyota pick up 22re and he popped the head gasket but he just wanted too put in a rebuilt engine so we got a fully rebuilt engine from rhino engine its a complete long block.

But like I was saying this is my first time doing a engine in a toyota so any suggestions or hints on this process will be definatly appreciated.

I will be posting for some answers when i get stuck hopefully i wont get stuck.

thank you

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
well I think i have mostly eveything disconnected only thing is that im unsure about is the shifter it is a manual tranny. can i leave the shifter on when i pull the motor? I'm pulling the tranny and engine all at the same time. toyota's are made wierd i had to rip the glove box and heater blower out to get the ecu out to get the wiring, I'm also pulling all wiring and hoses with the motor. is there anything that i should be aware of?

·
Registered
92 pickup xtra cab
563 Posts
take the shifter and linkage off, it will make it much, much easier

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
i guess you do it backwards from how i do it. i disconnected all the sensors and stuff from the engine instead of the harness fromthe ecu. the ecu is pretty easy to access but now that i think about it the way you did it is actually easier. the shifter needs to come out to yank it out. ou can remove the shifter from the topside by pushing in on the retainer piece and twisting it until it pops out, its spring loaded and the 2 rivets in the side hold the retainer in place. if ou cant figure that out or get pisseds trying get a 12mm ratchet wrench or a 1/4 inch drive 12mm ratchet/socket and crawl under the truck and pull the 6 bolts that hold it on the tranny. the easy part is pulling it out i pulled mine out and set it back in with absolutley no help by myself tranny and all. the motor mounts have a tab that will basically guide it right in place. ill remember the way you did the harness i think it might be easier that way, be carefull you disconnect everything including the slave cylinder if its a manual 5 speed and the alternator power steering hoses and stuff.be carefull not to bust a hole in the condensor if you have a/c whe you pull the engine and set it in . i used a leveler from harbor frieght on my hoist which made tilting it a breeze.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok. i have the four 12mm bolts out of the shifter that you can access through the cab. your saying theres two more? ok i will get them.. i got the alternator ground and green plug out of the way.. and ill double check the slave cylinder not sure if i disconnected that..

lastnight went online looking for a toyota to buy im thinking about getting out of hondas and getting a corrola ae86 always wanted one. toyotas are complicated i like that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the engine is out . gave me alittle bit of a problem the header and the downpipe wouldnt break loose, one stud wouldnt come out i broke the weld on the downpipe, its ok tho i can weld it back together. i miss two things the fuel filter line and the main ground from valve cover to the firewall. getting ready to go out and get some speedy dry i kind of spilled a bunch of oil all over the place..

thinking about selling my civic for a toyota pickup .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
switching everything over to the new motor. i have one bracket that i forget where it goes. its not the power steering pully pump but i took it off when i was dealing with the ps pump. i have the exhaust side pretty much done sept for that one bracket. water pump is on. i need to get a torch to get the crank pully off. but i was getting bored and aggravated. so i stopped for the night..

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
you should have removed that bolt first thing before you disconnested the battery cable. if you cant get it with an impact wrench you might play hell gettin it loose. i usually use a 1/2 inch wratchet wedged in the frame and then bump the starter.

ditch the honda man those things are a dime a dozen although the crx is one of my favorites.

·
Stop buying garbage
301 Posts
ya

I've only done it twice so far, but I've had good luck with putting the truck in 5th gear, 4 low, lock hubs in, ebrake on then lay a socket with a breaker bar on the crank pulley bolt. came easily both times.
Pete

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
going out to work. on the motor. waiting for wife to go get a torch.

i could of cut my civic in little tiny puzzle pieces and put it back together quicker then this swap..

·
Stop buying garbage
301 Posts
ya

As soon as your wife gets back with that torch you can get started cutting that civic into little tiny pieces.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
no cutting of the civic. sorry. i love my baby. but i want another project probaly gonna be a old school mr2 ...

but the motor is all together. waiting on the the clutch disk, dizzy wires. and the wife to clean the intake, oil pan and valve cover. so i have the wiring harness to put back on and the intake, oil pan and valve cover and go to a junk yard cause i broke the clip on the dizzy.

im also gonna have her find a host for the pictures and post them up on here..

ooh and the crank pully came right off with alittle pb blaster and some heat.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well about to go out and work on the truck. Need a clutch alignment tool, do you know where I can one of these cheap? I was thinking the dealership but, i dont know.

the weekend is here.

·
Loose Nut
94 Toyota 2WD Pickup
257 Posts
Honda Crx said:
well about to go out and work on the truck. Need a clutch alignment tool, do you know where I can one of these cheap? I was thinking the dealership but, i dont know.

the weekend is here.
Call around to the local auto parts stores. I'd be surprised if NAPA doesn't carry it, but others might be cheaper.

See if Autozone has one in thier "tool loan" program. Technically, you buy it, keep it as long as you want, then return it for a refund.

Good luck!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
alright big problem.. motor is in the truck everything is the way it is supposed to be.. two anti freeze leeks. and the number 1 fuel injector is leaking oh well easy fix. but when i try to start the car nothing happens i have power. lights and everything work. but when i turn the ignition on the strater clicks and thats it. i have one wire im not sure about it came off where the alternator is looks like a ground not sure it yellow i have the ground on the alternator and all.. i checked all the fuses... i did a search. where is the clutch starter switch.

·
Registered
86 Posts
hmm im gonna be doing this soon. my motor is out and im goin to pick up a new one in a week.. it oughta be fun

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I'm getting ready for a motor swap in a 1995. I was hoping to pull the motor without pulling the tranny but it sounds like pulling them together is the easier method. Any thoughts?

I like the idea of pulling the plug out of the ECU. I was just looking at all the plugs and the harness yesterday and was wondering how to go about doing it.

I also was planning on draining all the fluids and removing the radiator for more room so that will eliminate two more problems.

Thanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
yeah u have to remove the rad whether u pull tranny or not.. i left trany in and i had no prob.. but i was dumb and pulled all the connectors off the motor not the ECU but hey.. my uncle has a 94 so im just gonna pull his up next to mine and copy his exactly lol.... if not i have my FSM

1 - 20 of 22 Posts