Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey...hi. My oil pressure sending unit leaks and needs removed. It has a plastic collar that a normal wrench does not fit. It looks like it requires a special socket (worth more than the sensor itself)....Has anybody have any tricks up their sleeve for safe removal by other means....vice grips and a hammer as an example??. I don't want to strip the threads in the block or snap the unit into two pieces. I tried various sealants to seal the leak, but with no success. No mechanics that I have contacted had the proper socket......they all just say "bring it in, we'll take a look at it"....yeah, I've already looked at it, and I didn't charge myself $90.00 per hour! Any tips at all would be appreciated. Thank you......and, do I have to remove the radiator?

·
Senior TN Member
Porsche
7,508 Posts
Clean off the sensor really well. Unplug it and use carb-cleaner and clear out area between plastic ring and block. You’ll see flat sides of a nut that you can fit socket over. I think it’s 18 or 19mm or some such.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It looks like it requires a special socket
The part next to the block is metal and an ordinary 6-point deep socket of the appropriate size will fit just fine. It's pretty big, twenty-something millimeters I think. The pipe-threaded part that screws into the block is not very big, maybe 10mm or so, and it should come out without much force.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey...hi. Thanks, everyone for your input. There was a design specific, oil pressure sending unit, thin walled socket, with the indented grooves that I required, at Canadian Tire. It was less than $12.00, so I bought it....I'm content now...lol. I'm still not sure if there is a steel shouldered nut behind the plastic ring or not. Either way, I'll post a picture with the socket number and my old sensor, when I get my new sensor (had to order it from NAPA).....the unit was cheaper than the socket...haha

·
Senior TN Member
Porsche
7,508 Posts
Weird. Should have regular hex nut on it to remove easily.

Let's see picture of the one on your car. And replacement unit.

·
Registered
100 Posts
There was a design specific, oil pressure sending unit, thin walled socket, with the indented grooves that I required, at Canadian Tire. It was less than $12.00, so I bought it.
The attached image is the factory unit on my car. You can see indents where the points of a six-sided nut would be on the metal part, which I think is what you're describing. I've had mine off and back on a couple of times with an ordinary deep well socket, but $12 for a specialty tool sounds fair enough.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You are probably correct. I think my sensor is original....the aftermarket ones have square shoulders. I just didn't want to take any chances. I didn't have a proper socket of the correct size anyway. Still waiting for my new sending unit to arrive, but I'm off on a fishing trip for the next week. I will post pics of my sensor and socket when I return. Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You are probably correct. I think my sensor is original....the aftermarket ones have square shoulders. I just didn't want to take any chances. I didn't have a proper socket of the correct size anyway. Still waiting for my new sending unit to arrive, but I'm off on a fishing trip for the next week. I will post pics of my sensor and socket when I return. Thanks.
Hi...sorry to be tardy. Yeah, both my switch and socket seemed a bit strange. A standard socket or wrench would not grab the shoulders and there was no room for vice grips or such. The replacement took a regular 7/8" deep socket

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts