Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello my name is Dave and I'm new to this and have no idea where to go or start on this site so I guess I'll just put it right here. sorry in advance if this is not the place to do it. here we go!
I have a 1994 toyota 4runner 3.0 4x4 It had a code of 71 I replaced Spark plug wires,spark plugs, rotor and cap, EGR valve, EGR vacuum modulator ,catalytic converter, O2 sensors upstream and down, new muffler, fixed exhaust leak behind the motor there was some O rings/ donuts, valve cover gaskets, mass air flow/vane, fuel filter, because it was throwing code of 71 when riving it would sputter jerk a little at 40-50mph when it kicks down to like a cruising gear and I was getting 145 miles to a full tank of gas so that is why I replaced all that stuff chasing this problem...so it runs a little better and I filled the tank so we will see how it does on mileage I drove it around last night after installing the mass air flow or vane and the check engine light came back on! so I did a reading of what code it would be thinking it was going to be the same 71 code but to my surprise that code is gone a little excited but it still stutters at 40-50mph and the new code is 26 air fuel ratio to rich I have no clue what I should do now I'm stumped! I have replaced so many things and don't even know where to start...any help on this would be greatly appreciated and thank you in advance. looking forward to some light on this matter.

·
Premium Member
34,653 Posts
Hello, Dave, welcome to Toyota Nation!

I'll move your thread over to the 4Runner forums so that the owners there can help you out. You might also try using that forum's search feature to see if you can locate past threads that may already deal with the issue you're having. :thumbsup:

·
13,486 Posts
Welcome to the forums, Dave! :)

How many miles on the engine? Has this vehicle been in an accident before? Any aftermarket mods installed? Lift kits or bigger tires? ;)

Did you clean all the injectors including the cold start injector? ;)

What brand are the O2 sensors? If you got Bosch, they will most likely be the cause of yer issue as the Toyota engines don't play very well with that brand. Denso is the OEM brand and works very well with the Toyota engines. Keep in mind that the front O2 sensor is what provides feedback to the ECU about adjusting the fuel/air ratio. Did you use new gaskets on the O2 sensors? Are the nuts torqued to the proper level? ;)

Was the AFM new or used/rebuilt? Did you calibrate it? ;)

How good are yer vacuum lines? Have you performed a vacuum leak test using unlit propane and the engine running? ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
one more question

I don't know the exact amount of miles but I think it's about 190k+ miles on it no accidents that I know of no lift or anything like that I have owned it for 7 years now but the past 6 months I've been having this problem, the O2 sensors I don't know what brand I bought I got them on ebay but I think the upstream one is the Bosch so that is good to know thank you! as far as the gaskets go when I went to replace the sensors the piece of metal with the two bolt holes are welded on to the muffler front and back so it is permanent so you just screw the sensor in the middle...it was like that when I bought it from what I can see it is sealed all the way around, don't know if that is a bad thing or not but it was what I had to work with. The AMF is brand new from the auto store and I had no idea that you had to calibrate it that is also good to know thank you for that as well, that being said. How do you calibrate the AFM? and for the Vacuum lines I replaced every hose I could reach I ended up with a bag full of bad hoses lol. I did not do the propane vac leak test just figured I would just replace them. This may sound dumb but I do not know how to clean the injectors or even know where the cold start injector is I kinda feel a bit stupid for not knowing.. I even had the intake off and seen the fuel injectors but didn't think to clean them. Thank you so much for your reply! what do you think I should do next? oh and the tires are stock. I hope I answered all your questions I'm just stumped on this whole thing got rid of one code which was a good feeling of moving in the right direction but now I have another. any tips/help would be great! and thank you in advance. I forgot to ask how do you calibrate the AFM?

·
13,486 Posts
List of OBD codes. ;)
https://www.troublecodes.net/toyota/

Codes that you reported that you had:
26 Air-Fuel Ratio Rich
71 EGR System

You've replace the EGR stuff so yer not gitting the code 71 any more. ;)

Yer currently gitting a code 26, Air-Fuel Ratio Rich. You've got a Bosch O2 sensor fer the front sensor. I believe you'll need to replace it with a Denso or NGK sensor to git the proper O2 readings to the ECU. ;)

Are you sure there aren't any exhaust leaks? What exhaust leaks did you fix and how did you fix them? Since you replaced the EGR, did you make sure it was seated correctly and did you use a new gasket fer it? You can use a spray bottle filled with a soap/water solution on the exhaust system joints/gaskets/fixed areas to see if they bubble up when the engine is running. You'll have to do it rather quickly as the exhaust will cause the solution to evaporate as the exhaust system heats up. ;)

Are you sure you hooked up all of the vacuum lines correctly? ;)

The cold start injector is located on the passenger (right) side of the air plenum. There will be an electrical connector and a fuel line on it. You can carefully remove it and test it using some of the tips on the web. You can also try a high quality fuel system cleaner like BG 44K in the fuel tank to see if it will help clean out yer injectors. I got mine off of eBay fer about $15 a can. You can also pull the injectors to have them cleaned, refurbished, and flow tested. Witchhunter is one place you can git that done at. ;)
https://www.witchhunter.com/

Could you snap some good piccies of yer engine bay as well as yer exhaust system and post them? Thanks! ;)

·
13,486 Posts
Have you tested yer fuel pressure regulator? Are you sure you have the vacuum hose hooked up to it correctly? ;)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes I'm sure I put the hoses back in the same spot cause I did one hose at a time to make sure I didn't mess that up I didn't check the fuel pressure regulator only replaced the filter I will defiantly get that checked out thank you... new gasket on EGR and it is seated in there just like the old one was. I do have to mention after I replaced the AFM my gas mileage is a little better it went from 140 miles to a full tank to 180 to a full tank, so it is getting a little bit better on the tank. I'm going to do what you suggested and keep you posted, one last question you said something about calibrating the AFM I found some info online about how to do it so my question is do you think it would be a good thing for me to do? or would I be wasting my time on that? thank you so much for your reply this does help alot please let me know about the calibration of the AFM..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts