Toyota Nation Forum banner

1994 Transmission shot?

957 Views 32 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  itsmrman2u
Hello All. Im a rookie on here. Had a few corollas before and now I have another one. But this time it needs work and was wondering if it’s worth it. I paid $1800 for a 94 1.6 3speed with 146k. It needs brakes. It needs hub bearings. But now it needs a transmission. So the previous owner had problems with it. It was slipping he said. So he got it rebuilt. Well now it slips again. When I put it in D, it won’t engage. I have to play with the shifter in order for it to get in gear. There’s a scraping sound. It’s sounds like it’s coming between the engine and transmission. Before I start playing and start to put money into this transmission and car, where should I look for? At the junkyard or somewhere else? Is it worth fixing?
Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Car

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Wheel Tire
  • Helpful
Reactions: Gen7-bestGen
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
1997 Corolla
6,575 Posts
Can you disconnect the shifter and move the selector shaft on the transmission normally?

Welcome to TN!!!

Reactions: itsmrman2u

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is most likely worth fixing (y)
Did the rebuilder provide a warranty of any sort
Nope. He said he got it done by some backyard mechanic. The engine is great. No ticking. No smoke. I just would like an idea to start looking. Another idea is to just swap for manual. Idk. This was supposed to be for my son to start learning how to drive. But damn.

· Registered
46 Posts
If it needs a transmission swap you’d be looking at $1500-2000 plus the transmission. Unless you have adequate tools and are willing to take on the challenge. If you have another running car and can put this out of commission for a month it would be worth fixing. Too many people here have unreasonable and unrealistic yes understandable attachments to the Toyota name and will say this is worth fixing and I agree to an extent but only if you can do it yourself because paying for labor on this vehicle is just quickly going to be totaling up more than the vehicle is worth. But check the shifter cable linkage and hopefully the issue is minor. If the transmission was rebuilt by someone who knew what they were doing then it’s unlikely the transmission is failing again. But if the job was done by a jack you may have a can of worms / money pit on your hand. But I bet you could find a transmission for this car for $300-500 and then with 300-400 in tools you can get this job done. $600-1000, days of research and your own blood sweat and tears will be definitely worth it but unless you’re rich and have endless money to spend $2k plus for a transaxle swap will not be a good investment. Especially if it needs hubs and brakes which are easy repairs compared to a transaxle swap. But brakes and hubs together will likely be $1000 so you’re looking at $3k plus in labor to get it ship shape.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If it needs a transmission swap you’d be looking at $1500-2000 plus the transmission. Unless you have adequate tools and are willing to take on the challenge. If you have another running car and can put this out of commission for a month it would be worth fixing. Too many people here have unreasonable and unrealistic yes understandable attachments to the Toyota name and will say this is worth fixing and I agree to an extent but only if you can do it yourself because paying for labor on this vehicle is just quickly going to be totaling up more than the vehicle is worth. But check the shifter cable linkage and hopefully the issue is minor. If the transmission was rebuilt by someone who knew what they were doing then it’s unlikely the transmission is failing again. But if the job was done by a jack you may have a can of worms / money pit on your hand. But I bet you could find a transmission for this car for $300-500 and then with 300-400 in tools you can get this job done. $600-1000, days of research and your own blood sweat and tears will be definitely worth it but unless you’re rich and have endless money to spend $2k plus for a transaxle swap will not be a good investment. Especially if it needs hubs and brakes which are easy repairs compared to a transaxle swap. But brakes and hubs together will likely be $1000 so you’re looking at $3k plus in labor to get it ship shape.
I’m leaning more towards the neutral safety switch. I adjusted the cable and bolt and it engaged real smooth in reverse and forward but then it went away. It also had about 2qts over.
Automotive tire Black Motor vehicle Black-and-white Wood

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Automotive design Style

· Registered
233 Posts
Do tell what specialty tools will be needed that are 300-400?
One-time use tools as well?

· Registered
1997 Corolla
6,482 Posts
I’m leaning more towards the neutral safety switch. I adjusted the cable and bolt and it engaged real smooth in reverse and forward but then it went away. It also had about 2qts over. View attachment 406847
View attachment 406848
The neutral safety switch just prevents the starter from running if you are not in Park or Neutral, and it turns on the reverse lights. Electronically, it doesn't control the transmission in any way, but the actual shaft going through it into the transmission does control the shifting. Anyway, you're on the right track checking that the cable is set correctly.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The neutral safety switch just prevents the starter from running if you are not in Park or Neutral, and it turns on the reverse lights. Electronically, it doesn't control the transmission in any way, but the actual shaft going through it into the transmission does control the shifting. Anyway, you're on the right track checking that the cable is set correctly.
I don’t understand where else to look. I will take apart the neutral safety switch and see what I can do. When I adjusted that cable, it shifted into gear so smooth. Then it went away. It wouldn’t go back into gear either in D or in R.

· Registered
1997 Corolla
6,482 Posts
The neutral safety switch doesn't control the shifting into gears. It's only mounted on the shaft that the cable uses to control what gear you're in.

Are you checking the level correctly? You should be checking it while the engine is running after slowly shifting through all the gears and back to P. If you check the level with the engine off it will appear high.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The neutral safety switch doesn't control the shifting into gears. It's only mounted on the shaft that the cable uses to control what gear you're in.

Are you checking the level correctly? You should be checking it while the engine is running after slowly shifting through all the gears and back to P. If you check the level with the engine off it will appear high.
Yes I have and I let it warm up until basically the fan kicked on. It was way pass the hot line.

· Registered
1997 Corolla
6,482 Posts
That's the neutral safety switch. Like I said it doesn't control the shifting of the transmission. It only controls when the starter will work (Park or Neutral) and the reverse lights. Take it off if you want.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I started to play with the kickback cable by the throttle. First, it was loose. So I tighten it up. Now it engages. But that cable seem loose. I drove it around the block and all 3 gears hit.
What are the chances that it is that cable? What about the differential? What are the symptoms of a bad differential? Tomorrow I will check the oil in it

1 - 20 of 33 Posts