Toyota Nation Forum banner

1994 Transmission shot?

953 Views 32 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  itsmrman2u
Hello All. Im a rookie on here. Had a few corollas before and now I have another one. But this time it needs work and was wondering if it’s worth it. I paid $1800 for a 94 1.6 3speed with 146k. It needs brakes. It needs hub bearings. But now it needs a transmission. So the previous owner had problems with it. It was slipping he said. So he got it rebuilt. Well now it slips again. When I put it in D, it won’t engage. I have to play with the shifter in order for it to get in gear. There’s a scraping sound. It’s sounds like it’s coming between the engine and transmission. Before I start playing and start to put money into this transmission and car, where should I look for? At the junkyard or somewhere else? Is it worth fixing?
Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Car

Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Wheel Tire
  • Helpful
Reactions: Gen7-bestGen
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Do tell what specialty tools will be needed that are 300-400?
One-time use tools as well?
What I would get to make a transmission swap easy would be a transmission jack, or if you have a floor jack you can get an adapter. A good impact or if you have an impact a good long reach electric ratchet. Right there you’re already looking at $300 unless you can get some used online for cheap.
it really depends what you have already and what you would need to get to fill the gaps to make the job easy

edit:
my phone was dying so I didn’t get to finish the list. But you’ll definitely need $100 worth of metric sockets from HF and metric ratcheting wrenches optimally with and without flex heads . I spent about $1500 on my cheap bare bones tool collection and there were times during the engine swap I’m still working on (have to see if there is a short in the wiring harness from a small fuel fire on the intake manifold resulting from sloppily trying to locate any leaking fuel injectors and checking to make sure I mitigated the leak) but to make swapping a transaxle easy it would be nice to have an engine hoist to use on the transmission but with a 4 cylinder it might actually be easier just to use a hoist and remove the whole drivetrain and then reattach the transaxle to the engine out of the engine bay and then put it back in attach the auxiliary components bolt it all up do fluids and call it a day. Because mating an engine and transaxle in the engine bay is a bitch no matter how big it is but the bigger it is the harder it will be

· Registered
1997 Corolla
6,479 Posts
Im talking about this line. In no way it’s connected to the neutral safety switch.
View attachment 406912
Oh, sorry. I'm not sure what it is. It's not one of the two hoses going to the cooler (radiator)? Is it a fluid hose or does it have a cable in it? There is a cable going to the throttle, but I guess you can see where that goes. WHere does this line go to?

You have the 3-speed A131L? My 1990 Corolla has an earlier version of the A131L, but probably pretty much the same. In the last couple years it started acting up. First the lock-up torque converter stopped working. It's suppesed to lock up at 45 mph, and that feels like a small shift. Then it progressed to not wanting to shift into 3rd gear when I'm accelerating unless I let off the gas, or I'm well beyond the normal shift point. It also doesn't fall into reverse quickly when I first start it. I took the pan off and took the valve body out and didn't find a problem. I wan't to check the oil pressure and governor, but I need to take the left axle out to get to the governor. I'm interested in what your problem is if you can eventually figure it out. I only take the 1990 on short trips to the store now, until I figure out the problem, and I keep it in 2 position when I'm going under 30 mph.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Oh, sorry. I'm not sure what it is. It's not one of the two hoses going to the cooler (radiator)? Is it a fluid hose or does it have a cable in it? There is a cable going to the throttle, but I guess you can see where that goes. WHere does this line go to?

You have the 3-speed A131L? My 1990 Corolla has an earlier version of the A131L, but probably pretty much the same. In the last couple years it started acting up. First the lock-up torque converter stopped working. It's suppesed to lock up at 45 mph, and that feels like a small shift. Then it progressed to not wanting to shift into 3rd gear when I'm accelerating unless I let off the gas, or I'm well beyond the normal shift point. It also doesn't fall into reverse quickly when I first start it. I took the pan off and took the valve body out and didn't find a problem. I wan't to check the oil pressure and governor, but I need to take the left axle out to get to the governor. I'm interested in what your problem is if you can eventually figure it out. I only take the 1990 on short trips to the store now, until I figure out the problem, and I keep it in 2 position when I'm going under 30 mph.
yes it’s a 3speed. I was playingwith the Kickdown cable by the throttle and it started to engage but I’m hearing a light scraping noise while idle. I’m still going to check on the differential. I have a feeling that the person who rebuilt the trans assume that the trans fluid will go inside the differential because it was at least 2 1/2 qt OVER. I hope the differential is still intact but it moves. There’s a whining noise around the belts but I think it’s either the alternator or AC compressor. Previous owner says that both are reman parts from autozone.

· Registered
1998 Camry 4 cylinder, 2004 Highlander V6, 2000 Chevy Express 4.3 V6
97 Posts
There's a plastic bushing on the shift-lever end of the shifter cable that crumbles into dust. The shifter then can not push or pull the cable far enough to move the transmission end into the right place. Replacing that bushing fixed it on my car. It was more trouble removing the console than changing the bushing.

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·

· Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
There's a plastic bushing on the shift-lever end of the shifter cable that crumbles into dust. The shifter then can not push or pull the cable far enough to move the transmission end into the right place. Replacing that bushing fixed it on my car. It was more trouble removing the console than changing the bushing.

It’s still intact. Now I’m leaning more towards the transmission being shot. But the funny thing is when it won’t go into gear, I would turn the car off then back on and it will go. Hmm could something be blocked? Maybe my torque converter is acting up? Idk and nobody else knows either.

· Registered
13 Posts
Hello All. Im a rookie on here. Had a few corollas before and now I have another one. But this time it Kodi nox needs work and was wondering if it’s worth it. I paid $1800 for a 94 1.6 3speed with 146k. It needs brakes. It needs hub bearings. But now it needs a transmission. So the previous owner had problems with it. It was slipping he said. So he got it rebuilt. Well now it slips again. When I put it in D, it won’t engage. I have to play with the shifter in order for it to get in gear. There’s a scraping sound. It’s sounds like it’s coming between the engine and transmission. Before I start playing and start to put money into this transmission and car, where should I look for? At the junkyard or somewhere else? Is it worth fixing? View attachment 406825
View attachment 406826
A great deal ! did you check the transmission fluid ?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts