Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
'95 Tacoma 4WD
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1995 Tacoma clutch question...

Hey everyone, I'm rather new here, so some of my questions will be pretty basic - laugh away, but at least I'm trying to learn!

Here's my quesiton: what are some 'tell-tale' signs that a clutch is going out? It just seems that since I purchased her (June of this year) that the clutch takeup and action isn't as smooth as when I got her. I mean, I understand that it's a truck and not a buttery-smooth sports car clutch like on my Dad's S2000, but it shouldn't be rough should it?

To describe it, between 1st and 2nd mainly it is jerky, like it 'clunks' into gear... I really don't even know where to start to figure it out, but if I could do it myself and save some $$ (starving student here!) that would be great. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

PS - here's a link to my page:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/709818

·
Registered
'95 Tacoma 4WD
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Clutch problems still unresolved...

Hey, I've had this post up for a while and a number of people have viewed it, but to no avail for nobody will offer advice! I would appreciate any, even if it seems really basic - I'm not a mechanic, though I wish I were!

The Problem: My truck (5-speed) shifts rough between 1st and 2nd, and sometimes 2nd and 3rd - like it is hesitant to go into gear. It isn't major resistance, I'm not pulling/pushing really hard to get it to go into gear, but just somewhat harder than I would think necessary. Is this a sign that my clutch is going out, or is there clutch fluid or something that I need to replace?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as a student I would like to fix it soon before it leads to more problems, if that's even possible...

·
Registered
'20 gray crewcab 4x4; sold '09 access cab 4x4, '94 T100 4x4, '85 4x4, '82 2x4 pickup
501 Posts
Where is your clutch pedal when the clutch engages? I'm guessing it is probably close to the floor.
First, check the fluid level in your clutch master cylinder. It is on the firewall opposite the clutch pedal. If it is low, you probably have a leak and will have to replace one or both of the hydraulic cylinders. (I have had better luck replacing hydraulic cylinders over repairing them.) If the clutch works properly after you fill the cylinder to the proper level, the disk is probably good for a while. Otherwise I would suspect you are due for a new disk.
Good luck. Let us know what you find.

·
Registered
262 Posts
^ have to agree. Doesn't seem like the clutch is going... just a matter of the tranny, or that the clutch isn't disengaging due to other factors. But to answer the first question. I have a '90 4 speed manual, well it's my brothers since I got my new truck.... but when that clutch was slipping this is how we knew. We'd be cruising at normal speed, and accelerate quickly without changing gears, and then you'd hear the engine rev up, but nothing happened.... then we knew it was the clutch.

·
Official TN Memburr
'88 4Runner
133 Posts
Don't mean to scare you, but a grabbing clutch may mean a wet clutch. It is possible that either the engine rear seal or the tranny forward seal may have leaked, contaminating the clutch. If you are still under warranty, dump it in the dealership's lap! You will only know if/when it gets bad, bad enough for there to be oily wetness at the bottom of the bellhousing.

good luck!

D'mon

·
Registered
'95 Tacoma 4WD
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the advice....

Thanks for all of the advice you guys. I'm going to check all of the things that you recommended today, and I'll get back to you. Oh how I hope it is something simple like filling the resivour and not major like the seals failing!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts