Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Camry: 94-I4 and 94-V6
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good afternoon every one.
My Camry 1995 4Cyl Passenger CV Axle BOOT tored. Can I grab one from any 4Cyl 1992-2001 in the Scrap yard ?
I'll choose the best looking one of course. And it's probably harder to find a good 92-96.

Thank you very much.

·
Various Toyotas
4,238 Posts
I've replaced driver's side axles (not passenger) on a '95 and a '99. I can't remember if they were the same axle or not. Toyota parts shows different part numbers, but the aftermarket companies show the same complete passenger axle assembly for 1992 - 2001. Take good photos and measurements of it and match them up at the junk yard.

·
Camry: 94-I4 and 94-V6
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks John. I can't really take any measurement since it's still in the car and I'm driving to scrap yard with the car. I'm going to take a chance with the best looking one I can find once there . It snowed last 2 days and the cars in the junk yard are probably covered with 5-10 inches of snow.

·
Official PITA
Solara 'Vert & ES350
530 Posts
A complete new axle, at Canadian Tire, is around $140 - ($106 USD)
"Why trade a headache for an upset stomach?"

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
There may be a difference between Japan built and US built axles. There was for my 94 Japan built Camry. Check your VIN as to whether it is Japan or US built and take one from the same beginning VIN at the scrapyard. J for Japan built and 4T for US built.

Mike

·
Registered
Toyotas.
250 Posts
I've got two new ones just sitting in my storage shed. I've never HAD to replace an axle, not even on the Grey One, at 316K +

·
イリジウム
11,866 Posts
Looking on rockauto’s catalog. Both sides share with 92-01. But that’s for US market, not sure if yours are identical.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
428 Posts
It will be very surprising if the JPN and NAP half shafts were not completely interchangeable (same year range, same spec vehicle). They'll have internal differences because of different manufacturer, but their length, splines and retaining groove distance (etc.) should all be exactly the same.

·
Registered
Camry, Vibe, Venture
492 Posts
When I purchased my 92 I found both of my axles with torn boots so I replaced them with aftermarket units. The old axles were still "tight" so I think they were still good if one would have replaced the grease and installed new boots. After reading every post on Toyota Nation about engine vibration, I now believe that aftermarket axles are a source of many of the vibration problems that people experience with the 3rd gen. 5MGE at idle (and in gear).

Therefore I would recommend you check your old axles and consider rebooting them. If you do replace the axles let us know if you start noticing more vibrations at idle.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
428 Posts
x2 on Toyota OEM axles, rather than aftermarket. At least on any car you plan to keep for more than a year or so.
I had replaced both of mine, over the years, with aftermarket ones my shop had really good experience with. Both of them failed after 3 or 4 years, each time leaving me stranded. So the low cost of the aftermarket parts became very expensive after a tow (each time), plus yet another axle. The OEM ones are not that much more expensive, when shopping on the internet. And, as Cressidaadr pointed out, re-booting OEM ones can make them last forever, if caught before dirt causes wear in the joints (once again, I'd recommend OEM boot kits for maximum longevity, at this point just on basic principle).

The a/mkt ones failed in two different ways: one had an internal spline strip (shaft x u-joint), the other failed when the bolts holding the inner joint to the flange came out. Both times all forward motion was lost. Both times there was only a short warning period before failure.

Norm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts