Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
RHD is cool
toyota camry ’97 RHD
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have this strange problem with my 1995 Camry 2.2L

The earthing on the ecu has a little problem. Sometimes the car random dies and doesn't start anymore.

I have taken this car back from Malaysia and its on the other side of the road. I was wondering where the earth point is for the ECU on a right hand drive car

·
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
4,848 Posts
This post is the same question on a 1997 Corolla, might be a starting point to finding your ground wires without a diagram. Good Luck!

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,759 Posts
From the linked post above and my FSM ECM pin out E1, E2 is the ground with a brown wire(s). E1 appears to be the internal ECU chassis ground from the case. E2 appears to be a terminal. Both designate a brown wire.

There is no pin on ECU for E1, this just seems to be a named description. E2 looks to be pin out E12-9 on the 16 pin ECU plug. Pin 9 would be below Pin 1 either on right or left depending on which way you look at the connectors.

This is the first I've looked at this so I can't be definitive.

·
RHD is cool
toyota camry ’97 RHD
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so where are the grounds points? on the engine?

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,759 Posts
so where are the grounds points? on the engine?
E1 looks to be grounded to the ECU case, so the ground for that will be the mounting bolts on the body. E2 comes from a pin number - look for a brown wire from the ECU to either a body connection or through the firewall to maybe the engine, as is pictured in the link above.

·
RHD is cool
toyota camry ’97 RHD
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Anyone got a picture where I should search? I just found this relay rusty inside my passenger footwell.

·
RHD is cool
toyota camry ’97 RHD
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
so I bought a new relay was for the blower anyway replaced. Still no ecu power. check all fuses no problem and no corrosion. earth all ok. Maybe the pigtails of the earth inside the engine bay is broken?

Looks like this

·
RHD is cool
toyota camry ’97 RHD
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Anyone know where to look for? E1 where is it? got no CEL at all. Only once then it died and no Signal.

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
1,006 Posts
On the US model '00 2.2l here, there are a series of ground wires connected underneath / at the bottom of the Intake Manifold - suggest checking there.

·
RHD is cool
toyota camry ’97 RHD
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok I have a 1995 spec car. Bit lost at where to search. It did CEL once few months ago and started then. after that no CEL. Could the Distributor been defective?

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
1,006 Posts
Ok I have a 1995 spec car. Bit lost at where to search. It did CEL once few months ago and started then. after that no CEL. Could the Distributor been defective?
Ground point on the bottom of the Intake Manifold is in the same place on the '95. Follow the black ground wire from up top -> to where it goes through the intake runners underneath, or take a look from underneath to view the ground point.

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,759 Posts
Could the Distributor been defective?
If you haven't determined why the car stalls/does not start - spark or fuel, then you're flying blind and have no direction..

There is a signal generator pickup coil inside the distributor that tell the ECU that there is successful spark and if the ECU does not get that signal it stops the fuel pump. The factory manual tells how to resistance check the coil.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts