Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Toyota Nation,

I have a 1996 Avalon that slipped out of gear while pulling out of the driveway. It has 292,000 miles from previous owner with consistent maintenance. Fluid is not burned, but a little dark. It has driven great, no issues with shifting. I did recently wash engine at a car wash. No check engine light is on. shift indicator works properly when moving shifter. I was able to push car to the curb, but won't shift into park or any gear.

Thanks,

Matt

·
Registered
01 Avalon XL, 03 Avalon XL
1,019 Posts
Nobody answered in nearly a month? Not good.

In addition to internal transmission issues, did you check whether the cable is intact and connected to the gear selection half-round on the exterior of the transmission. In the Gen2, this mechanism is below the battery box.

If the cable broke, it could be that the selector isn't turning and thus not actuating the internal valve that sends fluid to each of the gears. This selector also works the gear detents, so if you're feeling the lunk-lunk-lunk as you go through the gears on the cabin selector, then this mechanism is probably still working, unfortunately, and the problem is internal to the transmission.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nobody answered in nearly a month? Not good.

In addition to internal transmission issues, did you check whether the cable is intact and connected to the gear selection half-round on the exterior of the transmission. In the Gen2, this mechanism is below the battery box.

If the cable broke, it could be that the selector isn't turning and thus not actuating the internal valve that sends fluid to each of the gears. This selector also works the gear detents, so if you're feeling the lunk-lunk-lunk as you go through the gears on the cabin selector, then this mechanism is probably still working, unfortunately, and the problem is internal to the transmission.
Hi there,
I was disappointed at no response. I jacked it up and found the CV Axle had broke free on driver's side. A couple bolts we're gone and a couple bent. I had a sway bar bracket break on passenger side the previous week, had to get from Toyota, and guy there said that may have caused the CV to break.
Thank you for your help, I was going to start with the cable...
Have a great day!

·
Super Moderator
12,977 Posts
Thanks for coming back to report the fix. It helps others who may have the same prob.

·
イリジウム
11,936 Posts
Good to hear you found the problem.

I think that’s also because Avalon is a low volume subgroup. Post it in the Camry subgroup.

·
Registered
Look in sig
8,743 Posts
I think also because these Avalon had bolt on half axle shafts to the other half of the axle that goes into the differential/transmission. It was only a thing on the 1994-1996 V6 Camry. I believe from 1997 it went to the full pop-in style.

They don't normally come off, but I've heard of a story where someone found that most of the bolts were gone except for 1 or 2 left. Usually before this happens, there's a bit of a odd vibration as the axle is working it way off.

Glad you found the issue though!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts