Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The AC on my '96 Landcruiser does not blow cool air. Does anyone know what may be the solution to the problem. I put refrigerant in the AC but it still does not blow cool air.

Thanks for all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A/C is a complicated problem, but as a first step, make sure your engine is getting cooled adequately. the dash temp gauge isn't the most accurate, but the A/C will not engage if engine is too hot.

does it work when you're driving on the highway? does it work in cooler weather?

also, you might want to check out the water valve fix, it's on ih8mud forums somewhere (check the fj80 faqs) i'd give you a link but im in a rush to leave

·
Registered
8 Posts
It could be any number of reasons. Faulty compressor clutch, faulty compressor, blocked condensor, blocked evaporator, faulty cabling/ air direction flaps in the cab, blocked TX valve, overcharged system, undercharged system, faulty viscous fan, stuck heater tap, etc.
Check that compressor clutch is engaging as a first check..
West-Oz

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Resurrecting this thread as my old man has a 96 as well and has the same problem.

He recently had a new compressor installed, new valve (tx or expansion?) and had the system evacuated and recharged properly. Even the a/c guy said it improved,but he wasn't happy with how cold it was but didn't know what else to do. :facepalm:

Since I'm no expert I wanted to see if there's something specific that the 96's might be known for in regards to a/c not cooling well?

:dunno:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts