Toyota Nation Forum banner

1997 camry frame question

829 views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  RT27 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
hello. bought a 97 used camry from a family friend. 140k miles. everything is mint. was told the front bushings were bad though. took it to a mechanic, he said my rear subframe is rusting and needs replaced. he quoted me 1.9k to fix. the subframe was 899$. when i look up subframe i see two types. one that is front and back, and then just a rear. neither are 900$. the most is like 250$. I called the mechanic and he said i needed a rear sub frame but couldn't get me a model number. i don't want to buy the wrong part. what do i need? what happens if i just drive this thing around as is.

here is the video he sent, if you go to suspension.
Hi ERIC, here is a link to your 1997 Toyota Camry CE inspection: {suspicious link removed}

#3 ·
"I called the mechanic and he said i needed a rear sub frame but couldn't get me a model number. i don't want to buy the wrong part. what do i need? what happens if i just drive this thing around as is. "

Nobody here can tell you what you need... you'll need to look at the car yourself and make a plan from there.
If you have doubts, take it to another mechanic for an inspection.

Hes probably going for a Toyota part. I would too for such an important piece.
its kind of a hassle doing this job..... Id rather leave it up to the mechanic myself. You're bound to find many other old / rusted parts that will need replacing along the way as well and will need lots of tools, air tools / rust issues etc...

..................Depending how bad it is, your rear end / wheels might tear off.

#7 ·
Hard to tell from what was on the video, really need to have the mechanic give you a in person tour.
Kinda the rock an a hard place. Needs to be fixed even to be sold or add up what it's gonna cost and decide if you can sell it As-is to be done with it. Might find a use-able one in a salvage yard as long as the donor hadn't spent it's life in the same climate.

#9 ·
There was another poster with the same issue... the subframe was incredibly rotted, like how is that driving rotted, yet from his pictures the body was remarkably clean. The bolts will probably be an issue removing at least though....

hopefully yours is like that as well.
other rattles at low speeds, the issue is unnoticeable for me. even when i turn, no noise. just slow speeds. thanks all. i have a friend coming to check it out. will post a follow up at some point if one is worth posting.

#11 ·
I wouldn't dump it on any one either but if you price it accordingly and they know upfront all the issues and you add a atatement on to the Bill of Sales why it's being Sold As is Where is there's no deception. Some DIY'ers would take that project on based on the condition of the rest of the car, keep it or flip it with a used sub-frame under it. Just an option.
Absolutely no idea, every car and market location is different. Look on Autotrader.com and look for something comparable. Here in SoCal where rust and corrision are not an issue it'd be worth around $4.5k + or -.

#12 ·
^ markets vary greatly

In this area, if the vehicle is inoperable due to issues with the motor, you can sell it for maybe $2000

But issues like this, even if its running good, and it drops to a few hundred. IF anybody is willing to even look / buy it. not many people willing to take a chance with rust cause the general "frame of mind" (get it??? lol) is that if there is severe rust in one area, then there is severe rust / corrosion elsewhere...even if the rest is indeed mint.

#13 ·
I don't know. With a camry they miles don't matter but the number of years of road salt corrosion will kill it. One of my rear cross suspension parts is about half way corroded through and the mechanic recommended not fixing, or driving, it. The reason being to get to the part taking off other parts will probably break them if the bolts aren't totally fused in place. Having replaced a few parts on the bottom side I can agree with him that every bolt will be a challenge and either break in place or break the part it is attached to. Everything is good on my car as well, except for the bottom 2 inches where everything is just a pile of rust and corrosion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.