Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1997 Toyota Camry LE
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all. I didn't want to waste anyone's time with a repeat post so I tried to find another thread with this information but didn't meet with any success. I've been searching for some info on getting a keyless entry system for my '97 Camry LE 2.2L. The person I bought it from lost the fob and I would really like to have a remote for this wonderful car. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can find a remote? Thanks a ton!

PS: If anyone can tell me how to rig a remote to release the trunk that would be awesome as well.

Cheers,
Lee in Ohio

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Greetings all. I didn't want to waste anyone's time with a repeat post so I tried to find another thread with this information but didn't meet with any success. I've been searching for some info on getting a keyless entry system for my '97 Camry LE 2.2L. The person I bought it from lost the fob and I would really like to have a remote for this wonderful car. Can anyone point me in the right direction as to where I can find a remote? Thanks a ton!

PS: If anyone can tell me how to rig a remote to release the trunk that would be awesome as well.

Cheers,
Lee in Ohio

97 camry probably doesn't come with built motor/solenoid for power remote trunk, but can be done by installing any $15 - $20 aftermarket solenoid to pull the trunk release cable.

if your car already have toyota oem keyless/alarm install, you can just go to ebay and buy a remote, if it is aftermarket keyless entry/alarm, probably easier to just replace the entire keyless entry/alarm

or if you intend to install alarm yourself

here is a website with wiring diagram
http://www.commandocaralarms.com/wiring/Toyota/Camry/

i installed a Scytek A10 $29 alarm on my 97 camry and i added myself the power trunk solenoid, works fine, and recently i also installed a Scytek 5000RS, keyless entry + alarm + remote start, $61 on 2002 camry, works just as good.

·
Registered
1997 Toyota Camry LE
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds really easy. My Camry actually has the factory installed alarm on it. So if I just buy a remote from Ebay, how tough is it to program it? Could a novice like myself do it relatively easily?

Thanks a lot for the help

·
Registered
1997 Toyota Camry LE
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a ton, sbushnak and bronzemaxell. Extremely helpful stuff!

·
Registered
1997 Toyota Camry LE
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Installing an after market remote start system

97 camry probably doesn't come with built motor/solenoid for power remote trunk, but can be done by installing any $15 - $20 aftermarket solenoid to pull the trunk release cable.

i installed a Scytek A10 $29 alarm on my 97 camry and i added myself the power trunk solenoid, works fine, and recently i also installed a Scytek 5000RS, keyless entry + alarm + remote start, $61 on 2002 camry, works just as good.

bronzemaxell, I am by all accounts a novice when it comes to installation. I would however like to try to tackle this project since the remote start option is starting to look even more attractive to me...(Pandora's box has been opened) lol. Do you know of anyone in this community that has posted a step by step on installing an aftermarket remote start system? Perhaps with pics? I'm assuming I would need to bypass the factory installed security system in order to do this but that's about all I know.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
i was sure how to install car alarm until i actually tried, and it is not too bad, you will begin take apart from driver side door entry, then driver kick panel, and up to driver side under dash console, and for steering wheel column cover, insert key in ignition, turn to on, but not start, and turn the steering wheel 90 degree, and you see a screw behind the steering wheel, and do the same for the other side. to remove the steering wheel column cover.

most of the wires are at the ignition switch, some at driver kick panel, steering wheel column

my opinion is, oem alarm sucks, very short operating distant, not many features, no shock sensor, like if some one rear ended your parked car, the alarm probably wont' go off until the door or the trunk lid is open.

the OEM alarm is probably RS3000, very easy to remove because it is plug and play, no wire to cut, the only thing you need to cut is probably the zipties if there is any.

i bought this one on ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCYTEK-GALAXY-5...ryZ48611QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

notice there is a best offer, he counter offered me at $61 shipped.

here is the installtion manual
http://www.scytek.net/manuals/galaxy/g5000RS.pdf

i have no affiliate with any link above, i am just the end user who bought the product and use it

i've also looked at the expensive VIPER 5901 $270 two way remote, but i feel that remote is very fragile, can't afford $80 remote replacement if it breaks.

a few tricky thing about remote start, most units now offer tach RPM monitor and tachless start, scytek default is tach RPM monitoring, but will need to train the tach RPM once to have it working properly.

i am not trying to argue which brand of remote start is better, but all i need is something that works relibably, i found the one i installed is pretty responsive, and to my satisfaction.

if you really want to install, do plan ahead, have two or three 12V relays with pigtails on hand, ebay sells them cheaper, zipties, electrical tapes, they do come in handy.
and run the wire to your trunk with relays, get yourself a 15LB solenoid to pull the trunk release cable to make it power trunk.
as long as you are not color blind, know the positve and negative voltage, have patient to read, can be done, and you will be happy with your accomplishment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts