Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a 1997 corolla sd. And Im wondering if some of you corolla educated peeps can give me some info on these cars. It has 165,00Km on it, 4 door, black.

I think it's the 1.6L, and I know it's a 5 speed. BUt i cant find any info on the net. Info doesnt seem to be as readily available as for my 91 celica gt.

Any and all info/help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is the chassis code? AE101?

What level of trim is the SD? Im guessing it's the base.

Any tips/pointers on maintenance? Like should I replace the timing belt, are recommendations on synthetic fluid for the gearbox, etc, etc.

Thanx so much,
John

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dealer sticker under the hood, timing belt was done @ 147,xxx and it's only @ 167K now, so that's ok. Car runs smooth, pulls pretty hard, changes gears smoothly, Not a sound anywhere.

It has new brakes, including toyota rotors, new rear struts and 4 new winter tires.

Only issue with the car is that the park brake doesn't hold, I figure it needs adjustment or a new front cable, either way I think Im gonna pick it up, as long as the underside is ok, mechanic check asap.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
the parking brake is probably fine, either needs adjustment or might need new shoes, take off a wheel and drum take a look see.

also check your antifreeze and transmission fluid..

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
94_Rolla_Guy said:
the parking brake is probably fine, either needs adjustment or might need new shoes, take off a wheel and drum take a look see.

also check your antifreeze and transmission fluid..

Yeah, if I get, as soon as I get it it will be getting mobil 1 with toyota filter, rad flush with toyota long life coolant & possibly gear oil change. And the air filter/plugs/wires/dist will be checked and updated if necessary.

I think I might get it, its a decent deal

1 - 7 of 7 Posts