Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the scene: ON ramp on the Interstate, getting in sync with the good opening in traffic. Floorboard the throttle and the car shifts into "passing gear", revs up to about 5800 rpm and about 65 mph. The thing waits a couple of seconds to upshift to travel faster. Thus the acceleration for more than 65 is delayed.
Seems to me that this should upshift as soon as the engine speed maxes out in passing gear. But the upshift is delayed. Lots of motorists speed up when they see someone planning to merge in ahead of them.
Is this delay normal?/

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
851 Posts
No, it is not. * Although at WOT - I have to let up slightly on the pedal, to engage up-shift here ... but the up-shift is immediate / no delay.

When's the last time the trans fluid was changed / replaced ?

·
short-throw dipstick
5,982 Posts
If your CEL is NOT blinking, check adjustment of the kickdown cable and check what CamryFL said. Although here's the weird part: although the kickdown cable has an effect on upshift/downshift behavior (tighter cable skews it toward downshifting, holding upshifts), I've never seen it keep the trans from upshifting at redline.

If the CEL is blinking as it approaches redline, your timing belt is most likely off by one tooth. Other symptom of this will be the engine slowing down a lot as it tries to get to redline.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The trans was flushed by a local trusted shop about 20K miles ago. Fluid looks perfect. The selector was in "D". Normal in the posted photo shows 68-75. The normal performance and fuel mileage lead me to believe that camshaft timing is correct-- but who knows?
Upshift is immediate if I lift foot off throttle-- but that interrupts acceleration briefly.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,982 Posts
Upshift is immediate if I lift foot off throttle-- but that interrupts acceleration briefly.
That's how mine behaves, but I made it that way by tightening the kickdown cable (on purpose. I do have to "manage" it to force upshifts that would otherwise happen normally).

·
'00 4 Cyl. Auto Camry LE
851 Posts
^^ Same here as ISB. Not usually at WOT in our neck of the woods though ... It's usually 3/4'ish pedal.

·
Registered
1995 LE
2,385 Posts
Are these engines RPM limited by the ECM? Mine up shifts without feathering the throttle but I only give enough input to reach 5k RPM. I have never needed to drive mine at WOT or near the red line.
W95c

1 - 10 of 10 Posts