Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished replacing my 4runner steering rack and took in to get alignment done. My shop told me I must have not locked the steering wheel and the vehicle can not get the alignment done.

They want to remove rack and reinstall. I'm wondering why does the rack have to come out instead of working on the rag joints. Any help and thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
1,770 Posts
Time to get a second shop to look at it. I wouldn't even mention replacing the rack. It drives fine right?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Time to get a second shop to look at it. I wouldn't even mention replacing the rack. It drives fine right?
Yes, it drives fine. Unless I'm missing something, it seems like a need to make sure the wheels are straight, disconnect rag joint, reset steering wheel in the correct position and then tighten everything back up.

I am definitely open to any coaching or suggestions if this isn't correct since I did not lock the steering wheel before replacing steering rack.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
1,770 Posts
Yes, it drives fine. Unless I'm missing something, it seems like a need to make sure the wheels are straight, disconnect rag joint, reset steering wheel in the correct position and then tighten everything back up.

I am definitely open to any coaching or suggestions if this isn't correct since I did not lock the steering wheel before replacing steering rack.

Thanks!
That's the way I picture things, unless it's straight but turned enough during installation that it doesn't travel lock to lock the correct distance. They should've been more specific since they wanted to sell you additional services.
I've only done my 95' T100 and it was pretty straight forward, can't think of anything that the 4Runner would be unusual. I'd reall suggest you try another shop or get the 1st one to explain things better!
You could ask these 4Runner owners if you haven't already.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The garage said that it was too far out of alignment and with the steering wheel upside down the adjustment nut was maxed out. I took apart the joint below the intermediate shaft and set the steering wheel to the proper orientation with the wheels as straight forward as possible. I'll take it back in see if they say it can be aligned now. I'll post after I get my vehicle back.

Thanks for your input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts