Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Full Throttle
1993 Corolla SE Ltd
6,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Im sorry if i sound stupid, but i am a little confused.

I understand we need the air flow sensor on the piping. But what do i do with all the other ins and outs that are currently going into my airbox???? do i plug them up??? i am unsure

Also where can i get the pipes and silicon joiners from? Autobarn/Repco ok to order??
I'm glad you asked as that's a very good question. The two larger hoses coming from the airbox can simply be left open, however I'd suggest getting a small breather filter for each one of them. Alternatively, a cheaper option is to use a small piece of a woman's stocking and cable tie it over the end of the each hose. That's just to prevent any dust etc entering into them. Make sure you don't block these hoses up at all. The small vacuum hose that leads to your BOV will have a factory T-piece on it. Block one of the hoses that branches off the T-piece with a small screw/bolt. Alternatively, just buy a straight connector and join the hoses together. I hope that all made sense. Let me know if you have any questions :)

As for the silicone joiners, you can get them from any auto parts store. Typically Repco are expensive for things like that, so it would probably be cheaper to order them from eBay :thumbsup:

·
Full Throttle
1993 Corolla SE Ltd
6,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
OK.
I didn't know they even still built the 3sgte.
It really does look good:thumbsup:
Yeah the last of the 3S-GTE engines were put in the 2002-2007 Caldina GT Fours. My brother's one originally had a plastic grille over the intercooler, but we took it off for extra airflow.

Here's what it looks like in completely stock form (random pic from the net) -

And here's what the 3S-GTE in the Caldina GT Four looks like (basically exactly the same aside from a different intercooler grille and a different set-up for the washer bottle and radiator overflow) -

·
Registered
4 Posts
1997 Caldina GT-T Tiptronic

Hey Kiwi-Corolla,

A CAI installed like this will still benefit the tiptronic Caldina GT-T, won't it? I ask because I've had a mechanic categorically tell me that its a waste of time, and i suspect that an element of laziness might be a more likely culprit. Infact for that matter would I be able to chuck an aftermarket BOV on as well? (another thing he said was a waste of time).

Regards,
Greg

·
Full Throttle
1993 Corolla SE Ltd
6,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Hey Kiwi-Corolla,

A CAI installed like this will still benefit the tiptronic Caldina GT-T, won't it? I ask because I've had a mechanic categorically tell me that its a waste of time, and i suspect that an element of laziness might be a more likely culprit. Infact for that matter would I be able to chuck an aftermarket BOV on as well? (another thing he said was a waste of time).

Regards,
Greg
Hey Greg,

Yes, this type of CAI will greatly benefit a tiptronic Caldina GT-T. In fact, my brother's car (the one I made this CAI for) is a tiptronic :). Don't listen to that mechanic ;). A good aftermarket BOV will also help as it reduces the turbo spool-up time. Both of these mods are very worthwhile, even just for the sound alone :cool:

Regards,
Scott.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Kiwi-Corolla,

thanks. The other thing I wanted to ask, at the risk of sounding a bit dim. is there anything special I need to look for in terms of a aftermarket BOV? I'm new to the whole car thing, but I've heard talk of different BOV's working at different pressures and that kind of thing. do I just look for something that can handle 14-16psi (0.6-0.8 bar)?

Regards,
Greg

·
Full Throttle
1993 Corolla SE Ltd
6,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Kiwi-Corolla,

thanks. The other thing I wanted to ask, at the risk of sounding a bit dim. is there anything special I need to look for in terms of a aftermarket BOV? I'm new to the whole car thing, but I've heard talk of different BOV's working at different pressures and that kind of thing. do I just look for something that can handle 14-16psi (0.6-0.8 bar)?

Regards,
Greg
No problem :thumbsup:. There isn't really anything special that you need to look for when buying an aftermarket BOV. Just be sure to stick to well known brands such as Blitz, HKS, Turbosmart etc. The inlet size doesn't have to be very large for 14-16psi and it would be best to get a universal adapter so you can easily mount it to the existing rubber hose which connects to the OEM BOV. The adapter will have a metal tube on the end which eliminates the need for any welding.

Each BOV makes a different sound, so it depends on the sound and look you like the best. You can hear what some of them sound like on YouTube. My brother has a Blitz BOV on his GT-T and it makes a very loud psshh sound. The HKS SSQV BOVs seem to make a chirping noise (a bit like a whistle in a rugby match). You also have the choice of plumbing it back in to the intake like the OEM BOV is set-up, which would make it silent and stealthy. Stay away from the cheap knock off BOVs and you should be as good as gold :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
last question, hopefully :p what did you use to hold the CAI down? I was thinking of just using cable ties, i'm worried about it knocking. I should be able to get all the bits and pieces and put it together next week.. the power steering has konked out, so thats the project for this week. also needs balancing and alighment.

·
Full Throttle
1993 Corolla SE Ltd
6,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
last question, hopefully :p what did you use to hold the CAI down? I was thinking of just using cable ties, i'm worried about it knocking. I should be able to get all the bits and pieces and put it together next week.. the power steering has konked out, so thats the project for this week. also needs balancing and alighment.
The nothing holding the piping in except for the pipes it's connected to. There's no knocking or rattling to worry about as everything fits in there nice and snug :). If for some reason you do experience knocking then you could put a piece of rubber between the chassis and the pipe ;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
would plastic tubing work? instead of the aluminium? Aluminium pipes like that are a bit a of a mission to come by. would the radiated heat from the turbo melt the plastic?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Mate i know i'm busting balls, but i cannot find anywhere on the net to order the pipng at a reasonable price.

Can you point me in the right direction

·
Registered
14 Posts
Alright guys..... everything ordered and on its way.

Another question Kiwi Corolla..............You say your bro gets a flutter sound? usually flutter only occurs when pushing the blow off air back into the same pipe as the intake. With a blow off valve vented into the engine bay, i dont see how you could get a flutter. also, i love the sounds of turbo spool and blow off. I want to be able to hear the turbo spool up and i may even keep the standard blow off valve and drill it back into the intake pipe to get a massive flutter. Will keeping the pod filter all the way down there limit the sound at all? i know though that keeping it in the engine bay will give me heat trouble. That is one hot heat bay ppl.

i used to have the R32 GT-4 turbo manual model before this Caldina Aerial. it was basically an R32 GTS-T but a $WD version and with a GTR running gear and gear box. F-ing flew. with a HKS mushroom filter, and a HKS SSQV the thing was nothing but spool 24/7.

Hoping to replicate the sounds.

·
Full Throttle
1993 Corolla SE Ltd
6,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Alright guys..... everything ordered and on its way.

Another question Kiwi Corolla..............You say your bro gets a flutter sound? usually flutter only occurs when pushing the blow off air back into the same pipe as the intake. With a blow off valve vented into the engine bay, i dont see how you could get a flutter. also, i love the sounds of turbo spool and blow off. I want to be able to hear the turbo spool up and i may even keep the standard blow off valve and drill it back into the intake pipe to get a massive flutter. Will keeping the pod filter all the way down there limit the sound at all? i know though that keeping it in the engine bay will give me heat trouble. That is one hot heat bay ppl.

i used to have the R32 GT-4 turbo manual model before this Caldina Aerial. it was basically an R32 GTS-T but a $WD version and with a GTR running gear and gear box. F-ing flew. with a HKS mushroom filter, and a HKS SSQV the thing was nothing but spool 24/7.

Hoping to replicate the sounds.
Good to hear that you got the piping sorted. As for the flutter, it only happens during very low rpms and during light throttle. My guess it because the BOV doesn't have a chance to open up completely due to the lack of pressure, so it just vents back to the intake and the noise comes out of the pod filter. When he's on boost it doesn't flutter at all.

Definitely keep the filter located outside of the engine bay. You'll still be able to hear any flutter with the window down ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
I did it

Ok................ it has been done. Not an exact replica of your job....... but the same thing none the less. The sound is really cool. not as much spool as my old R32 GTS-4 skyline, but much more spooly than before. i blocked off the BOV so now it flutters the whole time.

Not much power increase.....unless thrashing it on the freeway.

However, i have a few questions, i have no idea where your pod is located exactly. Check out mine and see what you think.

How do i upload pics?????.... im not that good with computers.

·
Full Throttle
1993 Corolla SE Ltd
6,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Ok................ it has been done. Not an exact replica of your job....... but the same thing none the less. The sound is really cool. not as much spool as my old R32 GTS-4 skyline, but much more spooly than before. i blocked off the BOV so now it flutters the whole time.

Not much power increase.....unless thrashing it on the freeway.

However, i have a few questions, i have no idea where your pod is located exactly. Check out mine and see what you think.

How do i upload pics?????.... im not that good with computers.
Great to hear! As for blocking off the BOV, do you mean that you're not running any BOV at all? If so then definitely get on to that ASAP, because you'll be experiencing compressor surge. The fluttering sound is the air chopping back through the compressor wheel, which is not what you want ;)

The pod filter on my brother's one is located just behind the bumper, in front of the left front wheel. You can upload photos using an image hosting site such as PhotoBucket or ImageShack. Both are free to use. Once your photos are uploaded, copy the

·
Registered
14 Posts
Great to hear! As for blocking off the BOV, do you mean that you're not running any BOV at all? If so then definitely get on to that ASAP, because you'll be experiencing compressor surge. The fluttering sound is the air chopping back through the compressor wheel, which is not what you want ;)

The pod filter on my brother's one is located just behind the bumper, in front of the left front wheel. You can upload photos using an image hosting site such as PhotoBucket or ImageShack. Both are free to use. Once your photos are uploaded, copy the tags and paste them into this thread. If you have any questions just let me know :thumbsup:[/quote]

Thanks for the help....BUT.... i really dont wanna get into an argument over cativation. I like flutter......... I dont drive the car that often, surge is when the turbo is boosting above wastgate limit, For years we had no blow off valves on turbos, and i have NEVER heard of a turbo exploding even with guys boosting the hell out of the turbo and thrashing it day in day out.

My point is, i want to enjoy the car, not make it last so the next guy who buys it can enjoy it. Please, i do not mean to be offensive in any way, i just want to enjoy a car for once, i am usually that guy who is always way too careful and have had 5 awesome cars that i regret not doing certain things to.

With that in mind my friend, what do you know about getting a 2.5inch turbo back exhaust and tuning the computer?

i'll try and get onto those pics later this weekend.

Cheers and thanks heaps again for the help...... it was frustrating to do the job, but i love the results.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts