Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I have just purchased a 1998 Caldina GT-T.

First thing i noticed, was in tiptronic, 3rd and 4th gear seem to bog down. the revs will rise, then drop a little, then rise further, then drop a little again.

The best way to describe it would be as if the clutch is slipping. But it's an auto and this problem only happens in tiptronic mode. in drive, there is no drama at all.

I test drove another caldina (was a 2002 model) at a dealer and found it did the exact same thing. Can anybody explain to me how to stop this from happening. It is a standard thing among the caldinas, and if so, why?

Thanks in advance

·
Full Throttle
1993 Corolla SE Ltd
6,774 Posts
Welcome to the forums! What speeds were you doing when you were in 3rd and 4th gear while in tiptronic mode? I just asked my brother who also has a 1998 Caldina GT-T tiptronic and he said that his doesn't have a problem. However, he did say that the gear ratios are very long, so in 3rd gear using the manual mode you should at least be going 100kph or it's going to be laggy like you described. Perhaps it's just a case of being in the wrong gear for the speeds that you're travelling at.

·
Sweet n' Lowdown
2006 Scion tC
16,189 Posts
Sounds like it could be exactly what Kiwi mentioned. I don't drive an auto, or a Caldina for that matter, but my wife's car is an AWD V50 T5 with an auto and it has the same issue when I drive in Volvo's version of 'tiptronic'. Bogging as you describe as well as the shiftable ranges not being what you'd expect them to be when driving normally and sometimes you can hit the dam thing like 10 times before it does anything. The dealer said its normal. Turns out my issue was because I was driving it like it was a manual, that is to say I'd run it and out of habit, let up on the gas as I hit the shifter. The mechanic said I should just keep my foot down when shifting so the ecu doesn't see a drop in rpm, think you're slowing down and assume the next gear up is the wrong gear to be in. When/if I'd catch it at a low rev and it would shift, it would bog pretty badly when I'd hit the gas simply because the gear was too high for the speed.
Its not intuitive to someone who has been driving stick for 19 years, but it is to someone who has been driving auto.
I also had the same issue in my buddies Bimmer with paddle shifters.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hmmmm....

i want to agree with you, but it does this even on the freeway at 100kph

foot to the floor doesnt help. it doesn't just bog down as it changes gear, it rises, then drops, rises further, drops, rises further again, drops.

i wish i could explain it better. it's one of those "you have to see it to understand it"

Thanks again.

·
Sweet n' Lowdown
2006 Scion tC
16,189 Posts
Could be a torque converter issue or even a fluid issue. I don't know much about diagnosing autos but our old 00 Bravada was an awd auto and it felt like it was slipping like a worn clutch as the auto tranny started going out. ...but you mention driving two different Caldinas with the same issue. Also I wouldn't think a dealer would let a car with obvious tranny issues out on a test. Which is why I guessed driver error over mechanical error. Have you tried changing or upgrading the fluid?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I have just purchased a 1998 Caldina GT-T.

First thing i noticed, was in tiptronic, 3rd and 4th gear seem to bog down. the revs will rise, then drop a little, then rise further, then drop a little again.

The best way to describe it would be as if the clutch is slipping. But it's an auto and this problem only happens in tiptronic mode. in drive, there is no drama at all.

I test drove another caldina (was a 2002 model) at a dealer and found it did the exact same thing. Can anybody explain to me how to stop this from happening. It is a standard thing among the caldinas, and if so, why?

Thanks in advance
Normal Dude.

The Caldys have real long gears. I bet that your just seeing more of a rev slight drop or pause on the tacho BUT not actually feeling any power loss under acceleration.. am I right?

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Hey guys,

I am in need of urgent help please.

My question is a 1998 Caldina GTT triptronic box good to tow a medium caravan, are they strong, would I need a auto cooler fitted,

Thanks,

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a toyota caldina 1998 GT-T.and in mornings it doesn't change ftom 3rd to forth until it warms up. Even when i flick it over to tiptronic it still doesn't let me. After it warms up i have no problems for the rezt of the day. Any ideas

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a toyota caldina 1998 GT-T.and in mornings it doesn't change ftom 3rd to forth until it warms up. Even when i flick it over to tiptronic it still doesn't let me. After it warms up i have no problems for the rezt of the day. Any ideas
Did You have any luck figuring this problem out mine is doing the same thing

·
Registered
Caldina GTT
3 Posts
Gear box

I think you will have your answer by now, but just in case, and for those who do not know. The gearbox will NOT change up to 4th until the oil has reached a specific temperature. When driving the gearbox will drop revs after a while, but only in 3rd and 4th gears, this is designed into the torque converter and is called 'torque lock down'.
Mal

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
Finally got here, yahoo.

1, I think a auto oil cooler is a good idea on any auto, towing or not.
2, Last 10 years I have “not been able to find any info on towing” except that I can have a tow bar made and fitted for a lot of money,
3, My Caldina gives trouble changing when the engine and oil is cold too, and I always drive very easy until I am sure the drive line is warmed up.
4, Shaftingyou said, Above. "First thing i noticed, was in tiptronic, 3rd and 4th gear seem to bog down. the revs will rise, then drop a little, then rise further, then drop a little again."
5, I never really had any bog down probs with my Caldina that I remember,
6, I also would like youall to Please note.
Standard 1998 Caldina wheel diameter is, = 205/60/15
205/60/15 = """627mm dia"""
I purchased my Caldina with 55,000k with mods and , =205/45/17 =616mm dia = 11mm under standard.

245/40/18 =653mmdia = over s/d = 26mm, may be ""too""" big.
So my guess is any over size / diameter wheels may confuse the tiptronic transmission, so please check your wheel diameter, and remember I am only guessing, ( from my experience ).
Interesting point here is manual 5 speed gearboxe people do not mention any bog down or rpm variation,
I still lovvvvve my tiptronic. Love it love it, love IT.

·
4AGE Goodness
AE101 FXGT Corolla
193 Posts
I used to use my ST191 Corona to tow my 15 foot fibreglass boat, had the A241E auto in it, towed it like a champ even though it was likely over its unbraked towing capacity. The trans cooler is plumbed through your radiator so be careful when fitting an aftermarket transmission cooler, as your trans might not get up to proper temperature when its not loaded.

What I'm curious about is I'm planning on swapping the running gear out of an ST215 Caldina into my Corona, but I intend to leave it automatic (I've had my fun with manuals). I know there is fabrication involved in getting the rear subframe fitted but that's not the issue here. How much power and torque (and abuse) can the stock Caldina turbo auto trans take? Bearing in mind it will be going into a lighter car. I want a mad sleeper to chop unsuspecting Hondas and Nissans

·
Soylent Green sales
rock crawler
12,801 Posts
I'm intrigued.

If you go ahead with that swap do keep us posted, and lot's of pics !!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts