Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am experiencing a fuel leak at the top of the sending unit under the access panel under the rear seat. I removed the sending unit and inspected the entire thing. Specifically looked for cracks in the plastic top. Looked fine to me nothing out of the ordinary at all. While I had it out I replaced the fuel pump since they are so cheap. Cleaned everything up and put it back in. Still leaking. I am suspecting that the fuel line connection to the sending unit where it locks into place may be the problem. If so what is the easiest fix? I've searched youtube for answers, but nothing tackling this problem only videos on replacing/testing the fuel pump and sending unit. Any thoughts or advice from people who may have had this issue would be greatly appreciated as my daily driver is out of commission.

Thanks in advance!
Paul

·
Registered
102 Posts
Does it leak only when tank is full?

If so, it's probably from a damaged rubber gasket..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does it leak only when tank is full?

If so, it's probably from a damaged rubber gasket..
All the time

·
Super Moderator
13,141 Posts
Just to be clear... It's leaking thru the gray plastic connector on this access hatch? I'm not sure if that's a replaceable part, but it might be... see second pic below. It sorta looks like there are a couple screws holding it in from the bottom. But that could be just another connector for the sending unit, mating up with a bonded-in header in the metal plate?

You might need to replace that whole metal hatch part, if that header is not replaceable.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As in all the time ONLY when tank is full, or even when tank is almost empty? Usually the the rubber seal goes bad and/or rust under the seal causes leak.
To be honest, I'm not sure. All I know is that it usually takes me 10 minutes and multiple tries to get the car started when it's been sitting for a while and most of the time I just give up. It's losing fuel pressure after it sits for a while. I racked my brain trying to figure it out and finally decided to look at it when it was running and noticed a small trickle of gas from somewhere at the top of the sending unit. I could not pinpoint where it was coming from.

Paul

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
550 Posts
from your description, then, it sounds like the pipe from the fuel pump to the engine has a leak

while the engine is trying to start, the leak is reducing fuel pressure, and while the engine is off, the leak would allow fuel to drain back an cause difficulty starting

first thing to check, then, would be the threaded joint visible in the first photo above

or the pipe, to see if it is badly corroded

also, the flex return hose to see if it has dried out, cracked and causing a leak

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
from your description, then, it sounds like the pipe from the fuel pump to the engine has a leak

while the engine is trying to start, the leak is reducing fuel pressure, and while the engine is off, the leak would allow fuel to drain back an cause difficulty starting

first thing to check, then, would be the threaded joint visible in the first photo above

or the pipe, to see if it is badly corroded

also, the flex return hose to see if it has dried out, cracked and causing a leak
Hey Norm, so what I have figured out is that it's leaking really bad at the connection to the sending unit. I can see it pouring out. It is not locking into place. It's the type of connector that has the two tabs on the side. The videos I've seen do not show using any special tools. It's just supposed to push on. With the car running I pushed on it and moved in and out about a 1/4 of an inch. That connector looks as if it can be replaced. Like it pushes into the fuel line and can be removed.
IMG-4056.jpg

·
Registered
97 Camry LE I4 Auto
30 Posts
I'm no expert but that looks like a generic push on fuel line connector. You should be able to replace that line as a whole. Getting to that line and being able to replace it is another story.

·
Super Moderator
13,141 Posts
WOW!... That fuel pump bulkhead design is WAAAAAAYYY different than the Gen3/Gen3.5 design. Must be a change when they went to the Gen4? Can't say I like that clip-on fuel line connector. Not nearly as secure as a metal flarenut on a steel pipe. And that plastic spigot seems like it'd be prone to busting off in a (admittedly) severe wreck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts