Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1998 Camry 4cyl auto CE

Hi guys, long time since I last posted, but here I am again. This past week when starting to accelerate from a dead stop I noticed what seemed to be a quick second of "slipping" at just above 1000rpms. It was almost like it was slick outside and the car lost traction for just that second, but then everything else was perfectly fine. Well, yesterday while driving around the problem got progressively worse. Now the car "slips" at just about any given rpm in just about any gear. When accelerating it just seems to lose about 50% of power, but then it will kick back in and accelerate. It is not jerky at all, and I hear no noises. I can still drive the car and it still gets around perfectly fine, but I just cant pinpoint the problem.

It would seem to me it is some sort of mechanical issue with the transmission? The CEL is NOT on, but I am going today to see if there are any codes and for some reason it is just burned out (never seen the light on before since mile 1 on the car). Car has 125000 miles on it, all routine maintenance done as required. Last time tranny fluid was changed was around 70k miles.

Any ideas?

·
Proud Camry owner.
1993 Toyota Camry
189 Posts
Sounds like your transmission is slipping. Try doing a tranny flush, and/or some slip fix stuff. Don't remember what it's called. xD

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Internal transmission issues are what I was afraid of. Still no check engine light and no codes. I am thinking of taking it to a dealer just to have them diagnose and maybe go from there. Depending on what they say, will go get a second opinion from a local mechanic here in town. Anyone replace their tranny with a rebuilt/new one?? I am just afraid of what could happen down the road. I have heard some horror stories involving replacement of the tranny and how it is never the same...thoughts?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, so I dont think it is the tranny anymore. The "fluttering" now happens during idle and while in park. Had a buddy tell me he thinks it is something with the fuel injectors...we pulled the plugs and they are fine.

G

·
Since your tranny fluid has been in there for 50,000+ you should get it replaced. As far as your idle problem goes, cleaning your throttle body is a good first step. If your cap, rotor and spark plugs have not been done in a while, replace those and see how it runs. If you're worried about your injectors, check them with an ohm meter. A good reading is between 13.4 and 14.2 ohms. When an injector fails, it will put you down a cylinder and you'll know about it right away.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, just an update. Took it to the dealer to let them diagnose. They say it needs new plugs, wires, and fuel injector cleaner. Not surprisingly they want 480 bucks to do it. I said NO THANKS, it will take me about 10 minutes to do all that. Funny thing is, I told them I just replaced the plugs and wires about 20,xxx miles ago and he told me they werent Toyota parts and that is helping cause the problem (plugs look good to me). I laughed (since the plugs are Denso, minus the Toyota name of course). I think I am going to put half a can of Seafoam in the tank (when I get to 1/4 full) and see if that cures it. If not, then I will replace the plugs...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts