Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello: I have a 1998 Corolla and the horn sounds very sad. I would like to replace it. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good (preferably louder!) replacement that won't tax the 10 amp circuit?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I would recommend the PIAA 85115 Superior Bass horns. No relay needed. Plug n' play.

Those Hella Supertones are high pitched and don't last (rust out quickly if you live in cold climate).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would recommend the PIAA 85115 Superior Bass horns. No relay needed. Plug n' play.

Those Hella Supertones are high pitched and don't last (rust out quickly if you live in cold climate).
Dumb question. I think I only have one horn or at least that's all I can find. Would I wire the PIAA horns in series? Looks like there's two.

·
Administrator
2006 Corolla XRS
9,482 Posts
Yes it is wired in series. If it's already wired for 2 horns, your good to go. If not, it's easy to add 2 horns, but need a bracket for 2 or find 2 slots to bolt them and then ground it. The connector is a spade connector.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Dumb question. I think I only have one horn at least that's all I can find. Would I wire the PIAA horns in series? Looks like there's two
Yes it is wired in series. If it's already wired for 2 horns, your good to go. If not, it's easy to add 2 horns, but need a bracket for 2 or find 2 slots to bolt them and then ground it. The connector is a spade connector.
Great, thank you!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone! I installed the pair of PIAA's and wired them in parallel as per the directions. The hardest part was finding a mounting spot for the second horn. They sound great.....BUT!!! I dropped the bolt for mounting the primary horn (the original bolt) and despite looking all over could not find it. I cobbled together something for the time being but if anyone could direct me to a salvage yard that might have a 1998 Corolla I sure would appreciate it. I live in Indiana and we don't have many import yards. Or if there's a Toyota PN, I'll buy one. Thank you!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am planning to visit the yards this weekend. Send me a DM and I will let you know what i find.
Thank you sooo much for your kind offer 75aces. A colleague at work has a 99 Corolla and, yesterday, he kindly pulled the bolt out, brought the bolt to work and I took it to Ace Hardware and had them match it for me. It fits perfectly and is stainless steel so it will probably be the last part left on the car. Ha, ha. Of course I had to torture the Ace guy with my whole story of how I kept telling myself not to drop the bolt...don't drop the bolt...DANG! dropped the bolt. He got a good laugh and thanked me for brightening his day with a silly story. Thank you all again; the new horns are awesome.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I must admit during the pre Christmas traffic jam around the mall, I had a hair trigger on the horn; just begging someone to give me an excuse to use it. Alas....I had no reasonable opportunity. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts