Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Corolla has 157,000 kms on it. It does need new O2 sensors, which I think I will try to replace myself next week (this is the engine code my father, who previously owned it, says it posts - the engine light is on)

However, my wife and I have noticed that when ever we park the car during rain or park it during days of really high humidity after a lot of rain, the car will run really rough and have no power. It is like the car is running on 1 cylinder. This will last about three to five minutes and then it is fine.

What’s the problem? My research says cracked distributor cap, but Toyota stopped using distributors in 1997…

People have also told me to clean the MAF. I don't think the 1998 has an MAF, at least I can't find it!

Can anyone help me out?

·
Registered
07 Camry SE 5 spd
98 Posts
I would think it is the spark plug wires.
Go to the dealer and pay the 99$, they are worth it.
Change one at a time from the coil pack to the spark plugs.

I tried using a less expensive wire but ended up getting the OEM's and had no issues!

·
98 Rolla
04 Acura TL 6spd nav
73 Posts
I had that same problem too and my clutch went out and I hope my new clutch fixes that. Whenever it was cold, humid, or sometimes hot, it would make an annoying noise and I would lose power. I'm assuming you have an automatic so that wouldn't apply then. Maybe you could check for an exhaust leak or bad gasket? idk why weather would affect that but you could check.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same issue with my wife's 98. Tried new plugs/wires first. It ended up being the coil packs. Replaced them and it was running like a champ again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts