Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The oil pan is rusting out. No holes yet, but it's leaking oil around the seal. The bolts holding the pan on are junk. The heads of the bolts look like they will crumble if touched. I assume the bolts will need to be drilled out and the holes tapped.

Has anyone done this and how hard was it? I assume a mechanic would charge more than the car is worth.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I did my oil pan a month or more ago and wrote it up here.

No problem getting any of the bolts out. Go underneath and check a couple of them out for starters. There are also two studs - one of mine had enough rust that the nut didn't come off the stud, but the stud came out with the nut. No biggie. If you saw rust its likely you were looking at a stud rather than a bolt.

I thought I lived in a high-rust area but maybe yours is far worse than mine.

If you're just leaking a little oil at the seam you have to compare cost of oil vs cost of repair.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll take a look again when the weather clears up, but I'm pretty sure the bolts will just crumble to pieces. I saw the studs. I just assumed those would get replaced with new bolts. If I can I'll take some pictures.

I would just keep adding oil when needed, but I want to keep my driveway clean. The oil pan is covered in oil and flaking large pieces of metal. I mixed up some body filler and covered the large rust area over a few years ago. The bolts were in bad shape then.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts