Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have now replaced the speedometer sensor for the 4th time in the last 4 months. Car runs terrible and speedometer stops working. Found the part on Amazon for $20 new. After 2 weeks, same problem. Got another one, 2 weeks later same problem. After the 3rd one went bad I found one on EBay, stated it was original equipment genuine Toyota part $25. 2 weeks later I have the same problem. Speedometer stops working and hardly runs. I should also state that I had an oil leak, replaced valve cover gasket and camshaft bore plug that leaked oil onto the sensor. I also replaced the sensor connector plug thinking that the oil leak may have caused the problem. Any ideas why it seems the sensor goes bad after a week or two, cheap part ? Advance Auto, AutoZone, and O'Reileys want $140 for the sensor. Could it be another problem ? Car runs great for a week or two after I replace the sensor although it's my wife's car and she only drives it 20-30 miles a week. Car has 120,000 on odometer . It's been a great car, she loves it.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Genuine OE Toyota part for $25 is very suspect. Got a scanner? It should have codes related to the speed sensor if indeed the issue. Poor engine performance won't be related to the speed sensor.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Genuine OE Toyota part for $25 is very suspect. Got a scanner? It should have codes related to the speed sensor if indeed the issue. Poor engine performance won't be related to the speed sensor.Ordered a scanner. Will post once I pull codes. Thanks

·
short-throw dipstick
6,096 Posts
Barring the fact that there's no way a new OE speed sensor is less than $30, IIRC there's a resonator on the cluster board that goes bad and causes speedo issues...maybe that was tach. Never done it myself, somebody with more experience can chime in

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, got a P0401 and P0501 code. EGR insufficient and VSS ( speedometer sensor ). I cleared the codes, test drove car, car drives great, no problems, no check engine light. Gonna re-inspect vacuum hoses and replace egr valve next week and clean throttle body. Speed sensor seems to be intermittent but even though I'm getting cheap aftermarket sensors, I can't believe 4 in 4 months have been bad. Would anything else other than a bad VSS give me a P0501 code.

·
Registered
125 Posts
In regards to the p0401, remove the egr tube and check for clogs. Also check the larger vacuum hose that goes to bottom of the modulator. They can also clog with carbon and trigger the code

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I'm back again. Replaced EGR valve and speed sensor. The car has been running great until today. It's been 3 months since repair but only 100 miles and same problem. Speedometer stops working and car sputters and barely runs. Same codes p401 p501. Any advice would be appreciated, thinking maybe a bad computer?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts