Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to service my transmission soon. Does this just require removing the trans pan, replacing filter,replacing pan, and then filling with fluid?I also have a Jetta and the auto trans requires the dealership computer. I just dont want to get any surprises once I get started.

·
Cressida nut
91 Pickup (Hilux)2wd
4,586 Posts
i dont think so. toyotas dont usually have crazy crap like that. certainly not on corollas. if youre worried grab a manual from wherever youre getting your tranny stuff while youre there and look at it even if you dont buy it

·
Registered
13 Posts
Did my 99 auto trans a few months back. Remove the drain plug & drain. Remove the pan & be careful because there will be more fluid. Add new filter which will come with a new pan gasket. You'll find 2 or 3 magnets stuck on the bottom of the pan. Clean everything and put it all back together. Takes 3.3 qts Dextron III fluid for the 4 speed. Super easy job.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. How much was the dextron? If the Toyota brand ATF isnt much more I may go with it. I really appreciate the info on your fluid change. The VW really gave me an unwanted surprise. I am actually about to sell it to get an almost new corolla!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used Valvoline brand ATF. Any brand of Dextron III fluid would work. I wouldn't use anything from Toyota, just paying for the name. Service the trans every 30k miles, which is probably the most neglected part on any car. Takes less than an hour. I'm going to drain the Valvoline and replace it with Mobil 1 synethic ATF. I'm a large fleet truck mechanic and a firm believer in synethics. They work, especially in drive train components. Biggest enemy of automatics is heat and lack of service. Go to a used car lot and pull the tranny dip sticks and all you'll see is brown, smelly, burnt oil. Synethics cover that and worth the extra cost. Some trans are a pain to service but the Corolla's is the easiest I've seen. Wal Mart is a good source to buy Mobil 1 ATF.

·
Registered
Toyota Matrix
107 Posts
Toyota's have a metal mesh filter that does not have to be replaced, only cleaned. A pan gasket at Toyota is about 6.00. Clean valve body, filter & pan with brake cleaner.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts